Not a hair professional

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsbarbear23

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not sure if I am doing this right or signed up to the right website, but I am NOT a hair professional or stylist. I just wanted to know if there was a place on this website for non-hair professionals that could get some kind hair advice from ones that are qualified and know what they are doing? Should I be posting here if so as a thread??

Thanks
Marsbear

We are happy to give general advice on styling and products etc. but we can't give technical colouring advice as it's against the site rules.

We are happy to give general advice on styling and products etc. but we can't give technical colouring advice as it's against the site rules.

Hi, Oh no I wonder why that is? Of course, I wouldn't attempt anything at home.

To start this off, 2 weeks ago I had white platinum hair, I had it toned down at a salon to a nice creamy blonde which I loved. A few days later I washed it with Philip Kingsley (Hair professional range) and it weirdly stripped out the creamy natural blonde colour.

I went back to the salon and he applied a toner or semi of some sort and basically it all turned grey! After doing a lot of research I then used the lemon trick (5 lemons and 1/4 conditioner) which luckily removed the grey but has now left me with a very yellow/ slightly pinky blonde.

Can anyone explain why that happened and if the creamy blonde will reappear perhaps just with washing or using purple shampoo? OR will I need to head back to bleach again and possibly a 3rd disaster?

Thanks xx

Lemons?? Just washing it a few times would have removed the excess grey tone and you wouldn't be left with pink hair! I'm annoyed on your behalf that the hairdresser didn't offer to correct the grey for you. It was his mistake, after all.

No, the cream colour won't magically re-appear.

When you apply bleach to hair, it removes the colour and leaves it looking raw and unfinished. (You can always tell a DIY bleach job for that reason.)

You need to apply a toner to complete the process after bleaching and it's important to use the correct colour toner. Toners aren't a permanent colour and they wash out after a few washes depending on how porous your hair is and the shampoo that you're using.

Purple shampoo tones out any excess brassiness (yellow) but definitely don't use it if your hair has pink tinges.

You need to go back to the hairdresser and ask him to neutralise the pink before tackling the yellow.

I wouldn't expect a Pro brand shampoo to remove your toner? Was the shampoo you were using for blonde or coloured hair? Does it contain any sulphates or sodium?

Thank you for the reply! Very much appreciated.

I did try and wash out the grey at first, (everyday for 5 days) than found on google that if you pour lemons on your head with conditioner, it can remove grey/greens/blue. To be fair it worked but just left it yellow!

I had platinum initially, then semi of creamy blonde and now I'm stuck with yellow after the lemons! If semi and toners wash out after a few washes shouldn't it always go back to the platinum/ creamy blonde? (As the salon said they only put a toner/semi) - Or once the hair has been toned down, the only way to get it back is to bleach again? Sorry I am a serious amateur when it comes to hair and colour :(

He should bleach up the yellow/golden blonde again and then add the correct toner or is there a good enough toner that he can apply that will maybe do both?

And yes, that shampoo has seriously puzzled me too!

Latest posts

Back