Not sure if I should keep quiet or tell the manager

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleySnips

Reaction score
Working at my first salon job for just a little while now. Long days, but I'm learning a ton!

One of my co-workers seems rather scissor happy. On many occasions have I overheard the consultation and she seems to just agree and do her own thing. This last poor woman clearly said "just a trim and not too short in the back", her poor lob ended up in a short inverted bob.

When customers say something she just brushes it off with a quick "it will grow back" or even better "I'm not done yet" which almost sounds like a threat, lol!! Can't cut it any longer now.

Anyhow, let's call this scissor happy stylist, Amy (obvious not her real name). Should I mention this to my manager or just keep quiet? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. But honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting in her chair.

Any advice? Or similar situations you more experienced stylists have dealt with?

Keep quiet is my advice. It's up to the manager to keep an eye on things. If clients aren't happy, some will complain and others just won't bother returning. If you snitch on your co-worker, you'll create a bad atmosphere amongst the staff.

Otherwise, suggest to your manager about running a client feedback survey.

Keep quiet is my advice. It's up to the manager to keep an eye on things. If clients aren't happy, some will complain and others just won't bother returning. If you snitch on your co-worker, you'll create a bad atmosphere amongst the staff.

Otherwise, suggest to your manager about running a client feedback survey.

I agree, I don't think it's your place say anything and in the long run I feel it would back fire on you creating a sour atmosphere X

Agree it could be awkward for you

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to keep this to myself for now.

Now the reason I'm posting, it turns out Scissor Happy Amy is the manager's niece... This explains how she's gotten away with her short cuts and careless attitude.

I'm just frustrated that I'm stuck working with her. She even suggested that I could "use a little trim" as she gave me a wink. No way I'm letting her near my locks, lol.

Am I just unlucky to be working in a salon where this is accepted? Anyone else been in a situation like this?

Thanks everyone. Sorry if this is not the right forum to ask for advice on this.

The salon where I work, everyone is self employed. And there is one stylist who is awful but she's got the gift of the gab so her regulars love her. Although a lot of new clients who use her don't come back because nowadays people expect good hair and good chat. Unfortunately it's got nothing to do with me so you just gotta let it go and forget about it. I just try to get the new clients first [emoji23]. Worry about your own journey and your own clients and you'll grow yourself :)
Just don't let her near your hair haha.
That's the best advice I have sorry! I know it can be frustrating but you won't be there forever :)

Thanks for sharing JJH93, nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Yesterday was a busy day due to multiple double bookings with most of the senior staff. This resulted in one lady being rather upset that her regular stylist was not available even though she booked weeks in advance.

The manager got involved and pretty much told the customer that Amy would be doing her hair. The customer was really hesitant and started back tracking saying she'd prefer to re-book but the manager was very persistent.

Once in the chair it was obvious that Amy was eager to get going, she even skipped the shampoo and opted for the spray bottle instead. This lady had a very classy bob, I wouldn't call it a lob, but definitely on the longer side. Customer kept repeating "I don't want it too short" before they started. Amy spun her away from the mirror and went to town on her beautiful hair.

During the cut the customer seemed to be sensing something was up and kept asking "how short is it?" and "can I see" which Amy simply ignored or brushed off.

This regular walked out with an inverted bob that was clearly not what she asked for. I do have to admit it was a nice cut, but not at all what the customer wanted.

The customer then proceeds to complain to the manager, who in turn tells her that the cut looks stunning and she barely lost any length (which was clearly a lie).

After the customer left, clearly upset and not leaving a tip, the manager goes on to tell Amy "don't let this get to you, you're doing a great job!"

In what universe is Amy doing a great job? I heard of questionable workplaces before, but honestly the salon actually has quite a good reputation. Shocker, I know!! lol

It's such an awkward situation! Hm I'm guessing the boss has a soft spot! Poor lady. It's bad managing on her behalf though.

Amy's parents might be financially involved in supporting the business as that would definitely explain the manager's blinkered attitude or perhaps the manager views Amy as a surrogate daughter. Either way, you're stuck with the situation until you move on.

Remember that even a poorly run salon can provide invaluable insight in how not to run a salon, so you still benefit from the experience. :)

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but something happened at the salon.

We have a few training sessions coming up and are supposed to bring a model. As soon as this was announced Amy asked, well more said "Ash you should be my model".

Needless to say I thanked her. I like my thick shoulder length hair and don't want to part with it.

Day goes on as usual, which means Amy almost made another girl cry by bobbing her instead of the requested trim.

At the end of my shift the manager wanted to have a word with Amy and myself. She told me that Amy informed her that I didn't want to be her model.

I explained that I don't want to get a haircut right now as I'm growing it longer. The manager was clearly not ammused and started to lecture me on the importance of helping each other in the salon and being a team.

At this point I mentioned that I didn't want anything short and I know Amy prefers to cut it on the short side.

Amy started protesting this and the manager quickly jumped to aid her stating that "Amy is a very talented hairdresser and I should be grateful she asked me to be her model"

I wanted to object but I'm told it's settled and to clean our stations. Amy had the biggest smirk on her face as soon as it was just the both of us.

What should I do? I really don't want a short bob like all of her clients receive from her. I feel like the manager is not really impressed with me right now... Can I simply refuse to be her model?

Just say no! No one can make you have your hair cut, even in the name of teamwork.

What should you do!! Tell her no! Then no again - if you don't want your hair cut - then that's it!! Talk about bullying [emoji34]. Don't let anyone make you feel like this - how dare they!! Yes you absolutely can refuse and you should. Sorry to rant but how awful for you. Stand your ground chick - they would last 2 minutes with me. Hope you're ok - I just hate to hear people being picked on xx

Of course you can refuse but you're going to need to say it in a way that will stand no nonsense, no conversation, it's not up for discussion, you're not taking part and that's it. It's not (presumably) in your contract that you have to be a model and so you are perfectly within your rights to refuse. xx

Thanks for your responses. It is nice to hear I'm not the crazy one, lol.

Although it's not in my contract, it was made clear during my interview that during staff training and possible shows I might be called upon to model. Multiple of my co-workers have done so already.

I honestly wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't Amy's model. My other co-workers are talented stylists that I would trust.

It took me a long time to find this job, I'm not sure how easy it is for me to find another one quickly. Still have to pay rent... Also my next job would ask for a reference which would be hard to get if we have a fallout.

I know how they say "pick your battles", am I picking the wrong one?

I do appreciate all your input, I'm just afraid that it isn't as easy as "just say no" for me right now.

Go ahead with it to keep the peace but be very clear about what u DONT want her to do! Suggest she is your model next time? That way if she cocks up your hair she will know you plan revenge....[emoji20]

Go ahead with it to keep the peace but be very clear about what u DONT want her to do! Suggest she is your model next time? That way if she cocks up your hair she will know you plan revenge....[emoji20]

I do want to keep the peace (mostly my job), but so far every client in her chair that did make it clear what they wanted, she has simply ignored them and cut it however she wanted. Perhaps I need to be even more clear although sitting in her chair wont be without any risk...

Great idea to ask her to be my model as well. That should be a good trump card in case she tries any funny business. I'll keep my clippers ready, lol!

I would say no and make it sound you don't need them. That you are not afraid of losing that job. They would consider it twice in that case and they needn't know your anxiety.
If you do indeed decide to get along with it, make sure you sit in front of the mirror and check every move she makes. If you are not happy with something, stop right then and there.

Quick thinking needed. Pretend you have headlice. Get some dried rice, cut in half and using a bit of gel, rub a few bits into your scalp. Then say, oh dear I must have picked them up from my neighbours child who I was babysitting a few days ago. ;)

Latest posts

Back