oily nails - true or false??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Fawkes

Reaction score
Evening - need bit of advice re new client. She's my friends mum and has her nails done by someone who is apparently a creative master. However, I find this hard to believe as she came to me on Tues night, after having her nails done on the prev Thurs night, with 4 nails off and all the rest lifting really badly. She always goes to this woman, but has had enough of them lifting off all the time. My friend told her to come to me to have them sorted. Think I have, time will tell, but this woman told her the reason they keep lifting is because her nail beds are too oily??? Could this be true?? Sounds like a fob off to me, blame the clients nails and not the tech??? Never come accross it before!

If this is something which could be true, would you know the nails were oily just by looking at them cos they certainly dont look it to me!! Also, what on earth to do you do about it???

Sorry for the novel but hope this lady will continue to come to me and dont want to end up with the same prob.

Some clients have very oily nail plates, it is possible.............
Try this....... give your client a thoroug prep, remove all non living tissue, make sure to remove all traces of cuticle remover, take the shine of the nail with a 240 koala, going in direction of nail growth, if the nail is very oily the dust particles will clump slightly together rather then form free flowing dust..........After this use scrubfresh, use the pad like you are removing red nail enamel, scrubbing not wiping.........then use nailfresh, then use the scrubfresh again, scrub not wipe.............. so 2 nails at time, so the oils do not have time to replenish the nail.................
So it will take longer but you are dehydrating the nail and the product will form a good bond before the oil in the nail can form a barrier.........
HTH

i've got one client who has oily nails....without sounding unkind, she has permanently clammy hands and has really greasy skin...i dehydrate one nail at a time and use Nail Fresh.

Thanks for all that - I'll give it a go and see if I can get the nails to last abit longer than she is used to. She'll think Im fantastic if I do!!!

A little extra thought: what does she do for a living? Years ago I had a client that had major lifting problems. I had done a proper consultation (I thought) and it turned out she sometimes helped her husband doing furniture restoration and used beeswax to polish old wood. Bingo!

Prep like Ruth has described was the only answer

She's a dinner lady so she is pretty hard on her nails I think, but then Ive got two boys under 5 and a house to look after, aswell as doing nails, so mine get abit of hammer and certainly dont lift like hers were!!! Dont think she uses anything extraordinary (god had to think about how that was spelt!!) on her hands and anyway said she works with people who manage to keep theirs on ok.

Will see how she's got on with the new ones I put on and if she's having same probs will have to pay special attention to the prep.

Guy Fawkes said:
She's a dinner lady so she is pretty hard on her nails I think, but then Ive got two boys under 5 and a house to look after, aswell as doing nails, so mine get abit of hammer and certainly dont lift like hers were!!! Dont think she uses anything extraordinary (god had to think about how that was spelt!!) on her hands and anyway said she works with people who manage to keep theirs on ok.

Will see how she's got on with the new ones I put on and if she's having same probs will have to pay special attention to the prep.
Some people can manage to do difficult and heavy tasks and never break a nail.

Some people can do a delicate task and have frequent breaks.

It isn't about the task they are doing, it is about how they use their hands when they are doing it.

It is very important to learn just HOW your clients use their hands rather than always just what job they are doing.

Latest posts

Back