Opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southerntech

Reaction score
I have a long time loyal client who is a regular shellac mani every two weeks.

Two months ago I noticed her nails where getting dry and suggested she take a break for a couple of weeks and give them a little extra TLC. I sent her home with fresh solar oil which she is using once a day. I'm pushing for her to try to get 2 applications in daily. We have continued to skip shellac and use vinylux and solar oil.... Two months later we they look just as bad if not worse! She takes care of them at home by wearing gloves when cleaning.

After a lengthy discussion about possibilities of why they are so dry she mentions 3 months ago she began a new blood pressure medicine.

Do you think this could be the culprit? Perhaps it wasn't the shellac and actually the beginning of a side affect of the meds?

Any input it appreciated! She has a follow up next week with her Dr. Where she is going to ask as well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1438382281720.jpg
    1438382281720.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1438382301089.jpg
    1438382301089.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 73
It does look like it could be caused by the medication, I remember in college they said most issues like this was due to medication or health.

My nans nails are just like this and I'm sure it's cause of her medication. They were fine before hand, she started new medication and they look exactly like your picture now.

The side effects of the tablets my nan takes does say can dry the skin so I've always presumed and cause of the timing of when her nails went like it that its the meds. She used cuticle oil daily and a good hand cream but it's made no difference.

Hmmmm a thought here. I use Vinylux on many clients and on a small percentage of them we noticed that it's very drying, could it be that ? Changing polish has sorted out this problem for them completely (solar oiling didn't make a difference). I should also point out that it has had the reverse effect on a couple in that the Vinylux suits their nails better than another brand and their nails look better for wearing it. I do think that it's not for everyone ...perhaps try a different polish for a few times and see if the dryness starts to grow up the nail ?

I have heard that vinylux can be to drying on some but I had never experienced this myself.... Well till now perhaps.
I'm all so trying to decide if I should start her on nail tek or nail envy. She wants color for the coverage of her not so pretty dry nails. From what I understand CND Rx wouldn't be a good choice.

Sent from my VS980 4G using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back