Out of touch stylist wondering what to charge for service

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FauxFox

Reaction score
I've mostly been doing haircuts from home on friends and people I've come across in my travels. I'm a musician and use hair cutting to give me some extra cash on the road. I've been doing a couple of friends root touch up's as well for over a year. Recently I've been getting more demand for my services since I'm not on the road anymore. Lots of root touch up requests. I can't seem to find any info on how much I should charge for it though. One girl has short pixie hair, while the other has long hair to their just below their shoulders. They both have about an inch or less roots. Maybe more when I see them next.

How much should I charge for just doing a root touch up with just bleach? The girl with short hair has bleached hair but needs the roots done, while the girl with long hair would also need color done. By color I mean like, blue, green, unnatural colors. I'm not charging for the coloring part, because I use my finished look for photos. If I were to charge her though, what would be a fair price for the roots and then the color?

My background is in cutting in NYC, I went to a well known highly renown cosmetology school although never got my license due to music obligations. I'm working towards getting all those ducks in a row to finally go for it but I'm not in a hurry. I'm very out of touch with the general salon world and don't really know what prices are fair.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I think cutting hair for friends and family in return for other favours (cooking, babysitting, modelling etc.) is one thing but I don't think that you should be charging or offering colouring services if you're not licensed or insured.

If a client develops an allergy to the product and has to visit their doctor, it doesn't matter how good your skills are if they decide to sue you.

Latest posts

Back