paronychia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exquisite Touch

Reaction score
Hi all

we have not long came home from the hospital with my two year old
he had a very bad case of paronychia it was very angry looking and full of pus
He had to have it lanced and dressed not a nice experience for a baby to have to go through, I cant understand how it got so bad
It seems to flare up within a few hours and just got bigger and bigger and bigger. I took him to emerg dr first who gave him antibotics but he began constantly holding his hand so i took him to hospital with it
The dr ran off after lancing it and left the nurses to tend to him because it was upsetting him seeing joshy cry so much but came back to check on him after his finger was dressed which was another screaming match
He didnt bang his finger or cut it in anyway for the paronychia to rage so much im scratching my head thinking is there anything i could have done to prevent it and to stop my baba going through the upset that he had to go through
sorry for whinging
hope you all have a fab christmas
sending hugs
Debx

Ouch! Hope all calms down and that you have a great Xmas!

Ah bless sorry toi hear bout that! I don't know what it could have been, it might have been that he knocked it and something very small appeared then bacteria,dirt ect got into it.

Sorry if thats no help

Hope everyone has a wonderful christmas

sammi akey:lick:

my nephew once had it aswell when he was a tot, my sister was a nurse and she couldnt figure out why he had got it either , but i remember it being a right mess :Scared: poor little thing, hope your little one feels better soon, x

The most common reason for paronychia is broken skin around the folds. Most common reason for that in tots is thumb sucking - however really anything that breaks the skin (detergents, solvents, wear and tear) even a fraction will be big enough for the bacterium to come in.

Pretty awful for a kid to go through happily its easily remedied (though it doesn't sound painless!)

Bless him. At least tomorrow should take his mind of it :)

thank you for all your replies
his finger is not as angry looking now than it was, he still wont let you look at it because its his 'hurty' he pulled off the bandage on christmas day and made his dad open all his presents while he stood and inspected each one :biggrin:
Hope you all had some lovely pressies and had a fab day
sending love to all
Debx

Glad he is ok had the same with my 5 year old with a trip to A&E on xmas day, hasnt had it lanced as it ahs gone rock solid underneath but loks awlful. He is milking it for all he is worth lol.
x

Latest posts

Back