pedicure advice do you use blades to cut skin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haylznailz

uniquelicious
Reaction score
hi there

as its coming to the summer season very soon an that time that clients are wanting pedicures by demand

i trained at college to do manicure an pedicure and was advised that we dont cut the dry skin area as we are beauty threapist not chropist (exscuse spelling)

after going to a local salon to me to have my eyebrows waxed i say there they used a metal tool to glide down the skin with a blade to cut the hard skin , is this ok ?

doesnt leave the clients feet sore or in any discomfort?

she also didnt use orange wood sticks with cotton wool candy flossed as we were taught at college.
she used a metal manicure tool and cuticle remover.

id love to hear step by step guides how you all do your manicures

as i do need to get more practise an advise due to the up coming months being so popular with pedicures

have i been taught incorrectly

thanks all x

haylznailz said:
hi there

as its coming to the summer season very soon an that time that clients are wanting pedicures by demand

i trained at college to do manicure an pedicure and was advised that we dont cut the dry skin area as we are beauty threapist not chropist (exscuse spelling)

after going to a local salon to me to have my eyebrows waxed i say there they used a metal tool to glide down the skin with a blade to cut the hard skin , is this ok ?

doesnt leave the clients feet sore or in any discomfort?

she also didnt use orange wood sticks with cotton wool candy flossed as we were taught at college.
she used a metal manicure tool and cuticle remover.

id love to hear step by step guides how you all do your manicures

as i do need to get more practise an advise due to the up coming months being so popular with pedicures

have i been taught incorrectly

thanks all x

oops i mean pedicures its quite late in the evening for me exscuse my english x

Smooth don't remove! If you use something like a credo blade to essentially 'cut' away calluses, they will return worse and with a vengance! How you were taught in college is much kinder to the soles of the feet.

Sea Serum with it's 20% Lactic AHA's left on calluses for 5 minutes works incredible wonders and then using a cullus smoother to gently smooth the problem away! The skin sheds easily and even with the toughest calluses - they will be gone quickley with regular pedicures!

Oops, didn't mean to sound like an advert here... I just think that many don't realise the benefits of this product for problem calluses, it's brilliant!!!

hiya

i have also wondered this about the pedicure blades. i had a pedicure done in spain and she used one (although i didnt think my feet were that bad!!) it didnt hurt and it was effective. im not sure about using on over here though obviously you would have to use a new blade for each client and dispose of them in a sharps box. if you find out anymore let me know!
the cuticle tool was probably a dual tool. these are really good for removing and pushing back cuticles.

re: mrs geek

thinking back i did notice the skin seemed harder after a few weeks!! i was told that hard skin is like a protection on the feet but sometimes it can build up this is why you shouldnt remove all of the hard skin but smooth it down.

nuttyaboutnails said:
hiya

i have also wondered this about the pedicure blades. i had a pedicure done in spain and she used one (although i didnt think my feet were that bad!!) it didnt hurt and it was effective. im not sure about using on over here though obviously you would have to use a new blade for each client and dispose of them in a sharps box. if you find out anymore let me know!
the cuticle tool was probably a dual tool. these are really good for removing and pushing back cuticles.

thanks mrs geek that was a nice way of explaining it so i could refer back to my clients with that answer

the tool used was a metal handed tool and you literally push the blade downwards to slice the hard skin

quite scarey really

when i got to the warehouse i will look for the different products i can use

thanks once again x

Hi

I really wouldnt advise you cutting off hard skin, like mrs geek says you are not helping the situation at all.
I use the cnd spa pedicure callus smoother and its brilliant! They have a new one coming out soon (a little spy tells me!) and that looks cool too.

nuttyaboutnails said:
re: mrs geek

thinking back i did notice the skin seemed harder after a few weeks!! i was told that hard skin is like a protection on the feet but sometimes it can build up this is why you shouldnt remove all of the hard skin but smooth it down.

Exactly... this is why I am not supposed to have any pedicures between now and China Wall Challange Trip... i AM supposed to build up some calluses to protect my feet for the walk! I don't think the majority of us actually need calluses as we are probably not doing anything where are feet need that type of protection!

Hi Mrs Geek-

This product sounds fab as i don't cut any skin, just smooth as i was taught, although it can take a while so any help this product can give would be excellent.
Where can i get it from?

xxx
Sea Serum with it's 20% Lactic AHA's left on calluses for 5 minutes works incredible wonders and then using a cullus smoother to gently smooth the problem away! The skin sheds easily and even with the toughest calluses - they will be gone quickley with regular pedicures!

My college course taught us NEVER to remove hard skin with those credo blades!
All it does is encourage tougher regrowth so in effect you arent really helping the situation!
I use a good foot scrub with a smoothing file, and I find that fortnightly ped's ensure that clients are left with glowing tootsies!

PS....wots "hot" for tootsies this Summer???? Anyone got any advice!?..... Im getting rather a lot of ped bookings!

bekster123 said:
Hi Mrs Geek-

This product sounds fab as i don't cut any skin, just smooth as i was taught, although it can take a while so any help this product can give would be excellent.
Where can i get it from?

xxx

You can get this from Designer Nails in Leeds........Tel:0113 275 5719
I love this stuff xxxx

bekster123 said:
Hi Mrs Geek-

Where can i get it from?

xxx

Sea Serum is from Creative's SpaPedicure range, available from Designer Nails.

Jacky said:
PS....wots "hot" for tootsies this Summer???? Anyone got any advice!?..... Im getting rather a lot of ped bookings!

I now have LOTS of clients wanting french gel on their toes. Looks fab with a tan & open-toe shoes!

nicjill said:
I now have LOTS of clients wanting french gel on their toes. Looks fab with a tan & open-toe shoes!

Ta for that!
I did lots of "french" toes last summer and my clients loved it!....just wondering if the trend is still the same.....
OOPs....didnt mean to hijack your thread Hayley...... :o :o
Back to pedicure tools!

Thanks Ruth.

xxx
Nailsinlondon1 said:
You can get this from Designer Nails in Leeds........Tel:0113 275 5719
I love this stuff xxxx

Jacky said:

True Creme's - Red, Purple, Pink and Chunky Glitter - with a 'glowing' twist!! Will get to that later!! Long almonds or short meticulous nails with matching toes!

Mrs Geek said:
True Creme's - Red, Purple, Pink and Chunky Glitter - with a 'glowing' twist!! Will get to that later!! Long almonds or short meticulous nails with matching toes!
OOOHHH...thanks Samantha.....
sounds fabalicious!
:cool:

I brought some blades for calluses, but never use them...too scary!!:Scared: I usually soak the feet well and use a pumice stone and that does the trick.

Mrs Geek said:
Smooth don't remove! If you use something like a credo blade to essentially 'cut' away calluses, they will return worse and with a vengance! How you were taught in college is much kinder to the soles of the feet.

Oops, didn't mean to sound like an advert here... I just think that many don't realise the benefits of this product for problem calluses, it's brilliant!!!

Where can I get this from? Is it Creative?

I have never used a blade, always a foot file. I have had people come and ask me to use a blade on them but I won't and then they get a bit angry.

Latest posts

Back