peeling and breaking nails after manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne...

Reaction score
Hi,
i have just finished a vtct manicure course. But would like some advice please. Two of my friends had problems with peeling and breaking nails, after i gave them a manicure. I have read loads of info on this, the only thing i can put this down to is products i used or maybe two many manicures over short period of time. I used nail varnish remover with acetone in it, Could this be the problem? tanks in advance for any help.

joanne... said:
Hi,
i have just finished a vtct manicure course. But would like some advice please. Two of my friends had problems with peeling and breaking nails, after i gave them a manicure. I have read loads of info on this, the only thing i can put this down to is products i used or maybe two many manicures over short period of time. I used nail varnish remover with acetone in it, Could this be the problem? tanks in advance for any help.

Hi Joanne,
Acetone can dry the natural nails out which could cause breakages, Also doing manicures where you soak the natural nails can sometimes cause the nails to peel if done to often.
Hths

Hi Joanne!!! If you take i us through the steps of your natural nail manicure we may be able to find a possible reason???

HI room one, i would appreciate your help and it would be brillliant if you coud go through the steps with me. :biggrin: Jo

I suffered from peeling and breaking up until this Oct and I think this was because the file I was using was too low a grit (when I did my training I realised my mistake :o )

maybe you could check what files your friends are using at home?

When you are using your hands everyday (typing, housework etc), the free edge of the nail suffers a little trauma and frays like a piece of plywood. Water can seep in between the layers and continue to cause this problem. I would bring the nail short, file and buff the free edge once a week to re-seal the nail plate layers. Use solar oil twice a day to keep the new nail growth conditioned and use Toughen Up basecoat (contains no formeldehyde or toulene, which can have the opposite effect and send nails brittle if used incorrectly).

David

P.S If you run your finger along the free edge after filing, you will feel it is still rough and raggerdy (sp). Use a 3 way buffer on the free edge after you have filed and feel the difference.

Thanks all for your advice. I would like to ask if other manicurists actually soak the nails? If they do what would they advise to pt in the water? and whats the best place to get the solar products from? Cheers, Jo.

Hi ya Joanne,

Other geeks have given you lots of good advice. If you type up the steps of your manicure I'm sure you will get a lot more relevant advice.

As for soaking, nails shouldn't be in the water for a long length of time - I find one minute quite long enough to soften cuticles when using a good quality cuticle remover.

Remember that nails do naturally grow, break and regrow. Perhaps your friends nails just reached the end of thier growth cycle and needed to be neatened up???

Kx

hi guys, manicure steps tought as follows.
1, wash hands
2,file nails (side to centre)
3,apply buff paste, buff nails (one direction)
4,apply cuticle cream massage in.
5,soak nails of first hand.
6,repeat steps 2-5 on other hand.
7,dry first hand, carry out cuticle work.
8,repeat on other hand.
9,carry out hand and arm massage.
10,wipe nails with nail varnish remover.
11, paint nails.
Dont mind if you tell me where im going wrong. Realy enjoy doing this, just want to be good at it. x

If I give you the steps to mine you can compare. I tend not to soak when doing a basic manicure or file and paint but I do when doing a spa or luxury manicure. I don't use an equivalent to your buff paste and do not wipe with polish remover so it could be one of these reasons as I haven't experienced the problems you have (as yet!!!)

1. Add EZ Flow Spa Elements Lemon Tree soak to warm water.

2. Apply EZ Flow Fade Away Cuticle Eraser and Exfoliator to each Cuticle.

3. Soak nails for 2-5 minutes.

4. Remove hand... dry... and prepare cutilcles i.e push back and remove all ptyerigium with pro pusher.

5. Using Crystal Mineral Scrub massage the palm of the hand only eradicating and areas of dry skin or callouses.

6. Rinse and massage hand and lower arm with Buttermint Buffing Scrub (a less abrasive exfoliator).

7. Rinse... towel dry and massage hand and arm using White Tea Massage Lotion.

8. When completed massage in Ginger Root Massage Lotion.

9. Shape Nails using Grey Wolf File (150 grit) and cap free edge.

10. Buff surface of nail using SandShark II (240 grit).

11. Remove dust with brush of lint free wipe and apply EZ Bond to cleanse and dehydrate the nail plate (this will dry to a chalky white finish).

12. Apply Natural Nail Treatment to encourage healthy natural nails and prepare a suitable surface for polish.

13. Apply two coats of chosen lacquer or french polish.

14. Apply Speed Finish as a top coat and either air dry or cure under UV lamp for 2-3 minutes (contains a thin layer of viscose gel to aid the life of the polish).

15. Once dry apply and massage in essential oil.

Hope this helps!!!

Are the problems you have experienced with all manicures you are performing or just the one client... Remember every client is different and not every procedure suits every client!!! Any more advice I can give is readily available so feel free to pm me!!!

Hi there

The peeling breaking nails may be due to the filing action. You need to bevel them to seal the ends use a 240 or higher grit (fine not coarse). File at an angle underneath to reduce the length, then across the ends, then at a slight angle from the top edge very gently.

Image chip board, if you cut it straight across at the end all the layers are exposed more and liable to flake and peel. Hope this makes sense

Deb379

i used to soak the hands in water and citrus soak, ever since reading on here not too,i have taken out the process of soaking altogether. clients have noticed how their nails have not split or peeled.also the enamel dosen't chip and stays on for longer.
maybe you should stop soaking nails, see how you and yr clients see the difference. hth's.x

Latest posts

Back