Perming hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWHC

Reaction score
Has anyone tried perming blonde hair extensions before applying a full head of extensions.
I am training in racoon extensions and I have a model who wants it permed as she as naturally curly hair . I just wondered if anyone had tried this and what the condition was like ?

Has anyone tried perming blonde hair extensions before applying a full head of extensions.
I am training in racoon extensions and I have a model who wants it permed as she as naturally curly hair . I just wondered if anyone had tried this and what the condition was like ?

Hi, I would get a small amount of the blonde hair that you intend to work with and do a few test strands to see what the outcome is. It will depend on how the hair has been previously processed and what effect the Perm lotion has quality and colour wise. You could try using an acid perm instead of alkaline. Edited: re-reading post this morning, I would only use virgin hair or as others have said try to get hair that has been waved/curled already. Archie Lloyd's can do this but takes around 10 days.

Last edited:
Well, I guess perming Blonde hair extensions would be almost the same when perming any other hair extension, be it Remy or Russian virgin hair. If this model has naturally curly hair, then it is obvious that she would go for perm Blonde hair extensions that could be applied either through Micro Rings hair extension technique.

No, I wouldn't do it.

When you buy a batch of hair extensions you have to accept that:

a) whilst it's mostly human hair, it will have come from lots of different heads so you cannot assume each strand will perform identically and,
b) they've already been through several chemical processes to lighten it to a blonde shade and make the colour even looking before you get them.

Therefore, even if you did a strand test that was ok you cannot assume that you will get the same results across the whole batch.

Finally, any guarantee with your supplier will be invalidated once you apply any chemical processes to it, whether colouring or perming.

Your only option is to source hair that already has a wave or curl in it because then your supplier has the responsibility for ensuring the quality of the entire batch.

You could try bohyme natural wave, they are discontinuing it so blond shades are limited but it's the best curly hair I've had so far.

I would just buy deep wave hair.

i would only perm virgin hair, try Tasha Jacks

So long as you get a gentler permanent for fragile/hi-lighted hair it should be fine. Also using a porosity equalizer will help....I used to use a perm that came in strengths from 0-4, 0 being for chemically treated-4 being coarse stubborn hair types. Shop around for a similar product with these options. Also when you neutralize, it is better to actually towel blot then dry the hair on the rods with a lo heat dryer to make it slightly damp/dry. This ensures that the dryer hair will soak up more of the neutralizer which is the acidic process of re forming the broken, reformed protein bonds.

Latest posts

Back