Phoneline and broadband?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxhaylzxx

Reaction score
I am currently with BT but I feel I'm paying too much. I only have the phoneline for broadband and card machine purposes so I make no calls. I am soon to be on maternity leave so thinking of either swapping to something cheaper or cancelling until I'm back open properly again and switch to cash payments while I'll be off/part time.

Who do you use for phoneline and broadband and what sort of price do you pay?

Look at XLN for cheap business phone & broadband deals :)

I am currently with BT but I feel I'm paying too much. I only have the phoneline for broadband and card machine purposes so I make no calls. I am soon to be on maternity leave so thinking of either swapping to something cheaper or cancelling until I'm back open properly again and switch to cash payments while I'll be off/part time.

Who do you use for phoneline and broadband and what sort of price do you pay?

I use XLN . When we started with them a few years ago they were very cheap and much cheaper than anyone else . They have gone up so much in the last couple of years I actively looked around at other suppliers . TALK TALK were the only ones that were a little cheaper about £4 a month for me so I figured it wasn’t worth the hassle to move so I stayed . Hope that’s helps .

I use XLN . When we started with them a few years ago they were very cheap and much cheaper than anyone else . They have gone up so much in the last couple of years I actively looked around at other suppliers . TALK TALK were the only ones that were a little cheaper about £4 a month for me so I figured it wasn’t worth the hassle to move so I stayed . Hope that’s helps .

Thanks it does :)

Other than price is there any difference in service?

It may sound like a stupid question, but is the internet faster with some providers, or does it not really have anything to do with them?

Thanks it does :)

Other than price is there any difference in service?

It may sound like a stupid question, but is the internet faster with some providers, or does it not really have anything to do with them?
Haven't used XLN just because since I work from my home office now I use the home broadband.
If the pick was XLN vs TalkTalk though, from my TalkTalk experience I'd go with XLN.

Regarding different speeds from different suppliers, generally speaking, that's not a silly question. You have your standard broadband with all suppliers and most will run a test and guarantee you a speed bracket at the point of signup and if they can't provide that, you get out of your contract free. If they openly don't come out with a speed estimate - ask for one. Fibre broadband is your next step up and generally speaking there will be a max limit that will come out the local exchange to yourself. For example, the limit might be 50mb but the company will sell, 50mb, 100mb and 200mb plans for example. Obviously, no point signing up for a higher plan if the max you can get is 50mb. Again, you should be able to get an estimate from them on what they can provide. 30mb - 50mb is more than sufficient for most needs. All suppliers except Virgin rent their hardware from BT or use their own hardware but it's using BT cables regardless.

The only real standalone is Virgin and they're unique because they're the only supplier to offer a true end to end fibre connection straight to your premises and can give you whatever speed you actually order as they're in full control and don't use BT's cables or hardware. The downside is it comes at a cost but you don't need to pay phone line rental with their broadband whereas you do with everyone else. If I could get Virgin here I would but living in the country they haven't upgraded the local box to allow more clients :(

I hope I didn't bore you with my extremely geeky explanation :)

Haven't used XLN just because since I work from my home office now I use the home broadband.
If the pick was XLN vs TalkTalk though, from my TalkTalk experience I'd go with XLN.

Regarding different speeds from different suppliers, generally speaking, that's not a silly question. You have your standard broadband with all suppliers and most will run a test and guarantee you a speed bracket at the point of signup and if they can't provide that, you get out of your contract free. If they openly don't come out with a speed estimate - ask for one. Fibre broadband is your next step up and generally speaking there will be a max limit that will come out the local exchange to yourself. For example, the limit might be 50mb but the company will sell, 50mb, 100mb and 200mb plans for example. Obviously, no point signing up for a higher plan if the max you can get is 50mb. Again, you should be able to get an estimate from them on what they can provide. 30mb - 50mb is more than sufficient for most needs. All suppliers except Virgin rent their hardware from BT or use their own hardware but it's using BT cables regardless.

The only real standalone is Virgin and they're unique because they're the only supplier to offer a true end to end fibre connection straight to your premises and can give you whatever speed you actually order as they're in full control and don't use BT's cables or hardware. The downside is it comes at a cost but you don't need to pay phone line rental with their broadband whereas you do with everyone else. If I could get Virgin here I would but living in the country they haven't upgraded the local box to allow more clients :(

Thank you so much that's really helpful!

I went with Xln to keep costs down, I'm hoping it will all be ok, i dont think i can justify paying double for faster internet atm. Thanks for your help [emoji4]

Thank you so much that's really helpful!

I went with Xln to keep costs down, I'm hoping it will all be ok, i dont think i can justify paying double for faster internet atm. Thanks for your help [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back