Please help - keep asking for ash but getting reddish brown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustWantAsh

Reaction score
Hi there,
I really hope someone here can help me - I need some pro advice, because my pro salon appointments have been leaving me really upset and frustrated. I've got natural mousey brown hair (midway between 5 and 6), a cool/pink complexion (and sometimes rosacea flare-ups), and for years I was happy with a hairdresser who'd worked with me for a long time on figuring out the best colour for me. I'd get a light ash brown and a half-head of foils, and he'd use a vanilla/milkshake toner to keep it all nice and cool. He quit after a long time and changed careers, and I moved abroad, and everytime I ask the salon pros to give me a really cool ash brown, and explain that anything less than ash warms up and becomes reddish really quickly, they give me more of a natural brown and either straight away or a week or so later, people are commenting on my 'going red'.

After a 'correction' that didn't fix it (reddish-brown again within a week), I gave up and bleached my hair - I'd always wanted to try it and I already hated my hair. I used Bleach London from Boots, loved the colour, but then moved to Spain a year later and knew my hair would suffer from the sun. I started patiently growing that out, and went to a Spanish hairdresser with 7 months of virgin regrowth. I explained that I needed a really ash brown, and if I could keep some blonde ends for beach highlights, great. He put on a dye that looked reddish to me even on application - I said 'this is too red!' and he insisted it was fine. He added a half-head of foils too for the highlights. Washing it out, he said 'you won't be happy with it, but I think it's great - as your stylist I think this is better.' It was reddish, and people commented again on my 'new red hair', it made my face look even more pinkish - it was awful. He also didn't put any filler on the bleached parts so I went from having ash brown roots and bleached ends to reddish brown roots and ashy blonde ends - worse than before.

It was so bad I used a supermarket box dye (natural brown - there were no ash tones available as local hair is all dark/warm brown or red). I'm now back in the UK for a month, just went this morning to another colourist, told her the situation and asked for an ash brown. She insisted that I needed a natural brown because of the blonde ends. I said I cared more about the roots/mid-lengths than the ends as I'd keep cutting them out, and tied back, it's the roots/mids you see, so they're more important to get right. I asked about a cool toner and she said that was only for highlights. She insisted again on going for a mix between a 5.0 and 6.0 (not sure what colour system but 6 was dark blonde and 5 was maybe light brown), with chocolate on the ends over the bleached portion (she started with the roots/mids and put me under the heat, then added the chocolate and went back under the heat).

In the artificial light in the salon, it looked a lot better than it had, and I thanked her profusely and paid and left. I drove back home and now that I can see it in natural daylight, the roots/mids are reddish-brown! :/ The ends aren't quite as red, but the roots/mids are a coppery brown, or even a light mahogany when the light's hitting it. What should I ask her to do in terms of fixing it? Would it need to be a whole new all-over colour? It's really damaged from the older bleaching and the foils last year - breaking off all the way up the length. I'm supposed to be creating online videos for my business and I really, really hate how my hair is looking. I'm also really concerned about further damage. Please, please help!

Pictures would be a lot easier to help with as red is different to a lot of clients. Some clients describe gold as red

Your type of hair pulls warm and it’s evident. I have clients who pull so warm that even a 7 double ash eventually goes orange. By the sounds of it your hair can’t take anymore bleach or highlights.

[edited to remove technical advice, in accordance with forum rules]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back