Please help my nails smile.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel76

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im sure you must get sick of alll us newbies asking questions but i was wondering how long it took you guys to perfect the frustration smile line. I have only just begun to attempt it but they are just shocking. Have read the tutorial on here which is great but i just cant seem to get both sides even. If one is good then the other side seems to be frowning or pulling some other weird face.:irked: .LOL. Also is it OK to maybe try using smaller beads to get the line right and then fill in with another bead. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

It takes a lot of practice and patience. Read the tutorial here, they're very helpful tool.

rosenails said:
It takes a lot of practice and patience. Read the tutorial here, they're very helpful tool.

That's about it i'm afraid.

I got loads of cheap tips and just practised whenever i got a spare 5 mins. Don't get me wrong mine are no where near grins yet, but they are getting there and i feel confident doing them on clients - which is a big plus.

Make sure your ratio is correct.

Try doing the left hand side 1st (if your right handed and vise versa) as for some reason some people do find this easier. Also don't try and do the whole side 1st then the other as i found by the time i'd got back to the other side it was starting to set.

Try not to take to long trying to get it right as the more you faff the harder it can seem.

It can also be easier to do the actual smile 1st and then fill in the bit towards the free edge - though i've never actually done this.

If when you've done the best you can and it still looks wonky you could always swipe the smile line from the other side to get it more even.

Sorry if that doesn't help - like i said i've only just started getting them to smile and this is what i've found works best for me.

Don't expect to get them right 1st time or over night, it can take ages - well it has with me anyway and i still get some that look pants!!

bel76 said:
Hi Guys

Im sure you must get sick of alll us newbies asking questions but i was wondering how long it took you guys to perfect the frustration smile line. I have only just begun to attempt it but they are just shocking. Have read the tutorial on here which is great but i just cant seem to get both sides even. If one is good then the other side seems to be frowning or pulling some other weird face.:irked: .LOL. Also is it OK to maybe try using smaller beads to get the line right and then fill in with another bead. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I had a CND skills application course where we covered this topic in detail. We were told to consentrate on the smile line first and fill in the rest of the free edge afterwards.
Tilt the clients finger downwards towards you, use a small bead first and put it in the middle just a mm below where the free edge meets the nail bed. Let it settle, then push the flat of the brush into the centre of the bead and slowly push each side, in turn, up towards the side walls, turning the angle of your brush so that it is flat to the nail bed when you do the smile point and it almost looks like the brush is on its side to you as you look at it, she said NOT to turn the finger just angle the brush (hope that makes sense) this way the whole of the brush flags stay in contact with the nail bed at all times. Then slowly push up into a point at the edge of the smile and then do the same at the other side....remember you are doing a bit to each side, we did 2 pushes each side and that included doing the smile points. Wipe downwards very lightly to smooth the bead as you finish each side, and after you have done each side, wipe your brush and make the little cavern bit inside the smile (so that that the zone 2 bead can nestle under it) Then slightly angle the finger up a bit and do another bead to cover the rest of the free edge. The part that has the cavern in it should be higher than the very edge of the nail as this is where the apex starts, it should look like a slight slope down towards the very edge of zone 1. We were told less is more on the free edge to stop it looking too thick, she also said to work with our brush as flat as possible and NOT made to a point, as it is easier this way to push the beads where you want them to go. If you feel that the smile is crooked then add another very small bead to the side that needs a bit more smile and push it to where it needs to go. I found this way much easier than what I had been doing and using the brush as flat as possible made a huge difference (flatten it as you wipe it on the dappen dish and pick the bead up with it still flat). I hope this helps a bit and that it makes sense!
Now I just hope I do not get into trouble for my description of this method, as this is exactly what we were told!!!

Marilyn said:
I had a CND skills application course where we covered this topic in detail. We were told to consentrate on the smile line first and fill in the rest of the free edge afterwards.
Tilt the clients finger downwards towards you, use a small bead first and put it in the middle just a mm below where the free edge meets the nail bed. Let it settle, then push the flat of the brush into the centre of the bead and slowly push each side, in turn, up towards the side walls, turning the angle of your brush so that it is flat to the nail bed when you do the smile point and it almost looks like the brush is on its side to you as you look at it, she said NOT to turn the finger just angle the brush (hope that makes sense) this way the whole of the brush flags stay in contact with the nail bed at all times. Then slowly push up into a point at the edge of the smile and then do the same at the other side....remember you are doing a bit to each side, we did 2 pushes each side and that included doing the smile points. Wipe downwards very lightly to smooth the bead as you finish each side, and after you have done each side, wipe your brush and make the little cavern bit inside the smile (so that that the zone 2 bead can nestle under it) Then slightly angle the finger up a bit and do another bead to cover the rest of the free edge. The part that has the cavern in it should be higher than the very edge of the nail as this is where the apex starts, it should look like a slight slope down towards the very edge of zone 1. We were told less is more on the free edge to stop it looking too thick, she also said to work with our brush as flat as possible and NOT made to a point, as it is easier this way to push the beads where you want them to go. If you feel that the smile is crooked then add another very small bead to the side that needs a bit more smile and push it to where it needs to go. I found this way much easier than what I had been doing and using the brush as flat as possible made a huge difference (flatten it as you wipe it on the dappen dish and pick the bead up with it still flat). I hope this helps a bit and that it makes sense!
Now I just hope I do not get into trouble for my description of this method, as this is exactly what we were told!!!

That sounds like a fab description to me mate - much better than i could of put it.:D

I was on the same class as Marilyn yersterday and one of the best ways it was described to me was to make sure you always have product infront of your brush and direct it like a snow plough does. Dont be afraid to move the product and be use a reasonable amount of pressure. Its always easier to add more product than take away. As long as your brush is dry (free from monomer) you can carve your smile lines to the shape you want and add smaller beadds if need be to corners if you havent enough product to cover the area.

Hope this helps.

your not the only one who cant perfect the smiles i did 1 could one last night and the rest were pretty crabby i wasnt to impressed i dont think my model was either:green:

Latest posts

Back