Please help with my disillusionment.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just looking for a bit of encouragement or a kick up the backside.....My salon has been open 7 months and it's going great - i'm even advertising to take on my first part-timer.

I just have this problem at the minute where i feel so disillusioned with everything. Like people turning up late for appointments and not apologising, no shows, clients thinking they can treat me any way they want and get anything they want. Just everything really seems to be gettin to me recently. I feel so exhausted and sometimes I look at my work day ahead of me and just don't want to do it. I have no time to work on the business cos I'm constantly working in it.
My heart doesn't feel in it and this is so not like me. I know I love my job, but my mojo seems to have taken a little holiday.

I'm trying so hard to please everyone, but i just feel like I'm at burnout stage.
Can anyone help me get the fire back?
Thank you.

Not a kick up the bum as such, but, you do need to toughen up hun. When appointments are booked make it plain that clients who are late will miss their appointment because you are fully booked and won't have time to run on and enforce it!!!!
I remember visiting Angel fingers and she had the most enormous bunch of flowers in her hall, they were from a client who was apologizing for being late and thanking Susan for seeing her anyway. I liked that and it taught me to value my time, its the only way to make clients value it.
Also, I know its hard to do, but you need to make time with in your working week to do the business side of things. Clients don't need to know why you are closed half a day a week, but you will catch hell from the tax man if you don't do it. And it will give you time to see where your business is going and where it still needs to go. Clients will take another time slot if they know you won't back down, the thinking is, you are busy because you are good at what you do, so they must book with the good tech.
Most importantly take time for you. Not house work, but real time for you.
A day of. Walk around the shops or feed the ducks time. If you don't you'll make yourself ill.
:hug::hug: to you hun.

Kick up the bum...do it ..don't do it...you only know what you want to do...you've started so finish :hug:

Best of luck and the mojo will follow :hug:

oh..take a break from it and find yourself and your aspirations about your business:hug:

I totally get where you're coming from. Now you know that you're salon is a success, concentrate on other parts of the biz....such as customer liaison.

Set some ground rules. Even I, (tough old bird me) get the occasional client who thinks they can cancel at the last minute.

I'm now telling them that if they don't show up and their phone is turned off when I call to see if they're on their way, then I won't re-book them. (I don't need clients like that).

I'm also teling them that unlike a lot of other salons, I don't charge for missed appointments. HOWEVER, if they last minute cancel more than once, then they'll have to take a chance and call on the day that they want an appointment to see if I've got anything available (I never have and they know that).

I know it sounds tough but people treat you how you allow them to treat you. I never let my clients down and I expect the same respect.

Go for it and feel liberated! xxx

Firstly you need to toughen up hun, I was similar to you not long ago, i felt like all my clients walked all over me but i put my foot down and this is something that will make all the difference. People will try it and people wont turn up for appointments thats just the way some are.
I agree with Kim if a client of mine cancels twice or lets down twice i wont re-book them again if they call i tell them im fully booked. So then they will feel gutted that they missed their chance. I know its hard to turn the money away i know but if they cancel more than once then they will always do it, they are clearly unreliable people and this is something that will stress you out.

You need to take a day to get things on track sort everything out that needs to be sorted and get your mind straight.

You also need one day to relax and take time out this may not be easy but try your best it will refresh your mind and help you to think better and take a different approach to everything.

Its very strange but when i showed to my clients that i was timid they took the p*ss and i really noticed it, i come onto salon geek got some sound advice from the toughies on here and hardened up and i now see how everyone has respect for me and my business.

Hths hun and i hope you can feel better soon, your certainly not the only one who feels like this and we all do at one point but it will phase off and make some changes that will help you. Remember you are number 1 here nothing else and you need to look after yourself first - Your business will be no good with a burnt out therapist or owner.
xxx

My salon has been open for 9 months so i understand where you are coming from.
Lucky for me i'm really laid back but even so those 'no-shows' even get to me!
You have to get your business established and yes it's hard work but you will reap the rewards later.
7 months isn't really a long time for a new business and i'm afraid you have to put the hours in to get it going.
I shut on Sundays and Mondays and even then i'm at the wholesalers, printing leaflets, doing jobs round the salon etc...
I didn't leave work till 7.30 tonight even though i only open till 6 but i had customers so i stayed.
You just have to think that all the effort you are putting in will be worth it.
Put aside a few hours a week just for yourself. Go and have a massage or manicure or something and treat yourself.
As my kids would say- you need to chillax!

some really great advice here re no shows and late cancellations. If you work out what it costs you in a year with missed appointment slots you may find it has cost your business quite a lot of money!

My salon is closed sunday and monday (my weekend). I think it is vital to have some me time. I can honestly say, closing on a Monday has been one of my best decisions.

Keep in mind, at the end of the day - you are doing this for YOU - not somebody else - and that has to be the best thing of all. Be proud of yourself - sounds like you are doing really well. Make some me time. XXX

Latest posts

Back