Pocket Lift on Ski-jump Nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
I did a second 3 week rebalance yesterday and the client had a rather large pocket lift on one thumb. When I filed away the lifting etc, it revealed a particularly obvious ski-jump nail.

Would the growth of this nail have caused the pocket lifting as the product would have been pulling in an unnatural angle as the nail grew?

With a nail like this, is it best to soak off and start again when the free edge starts to turn upwards?

Thanks

Cathie! said:
I did a second 3 week rebalance yesterday and the client had a rather large pocket lift on one thumb. When I filed away the lifting etc, it revealed a particularly obvious ski-jump nail.
Would the growth of this nail have caused the pocket lifting as the product would have been pulling in an unnatural angle as the nail grew?
With a nail like this, is it best to soak off and start again when the free edge starts to turn upwards?
Thanks

Hi Cathie

It is possible that the ski jump has promoted the pocket lift, as you say the upward growth causing it to push up and off..
If it is a particularly bad ski jump I personally would soak off and re tip on an occasional basis to help correct the situation. (sculpting will not be as helpful)

HTH

having your client use solar oil regularly will help also as it keeps the product more pliable. You will still have to soak off and replace occasionally if it continues. Make sure to really concentrate on mix ratio for that nail also.

Thanks for your help!

Jeni and Envy have it spot on and so do you Cath. Everything about a skijump nail is unbalanced and the upward tilt of the nail means that everytime any pressure is put on it, it forces the product in an upward direction.

Soak off and re tip every 8 weeks or so and cut off as much free edge as you possibly can before tipping (this reduces the slope of the ski jump). Use GelBond to angle the tip in a downward direction and let the adhesive fill in the ski slope. GelBond will also be more 'cushy' and help to take the pressure of any 'direct hits'!!

Latest posts

Back