Post baby hair loss/dying hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseymartin19

Reaction score
Hello! I had a baby 5 months ago and in the the past few weeks I've started experiencing the dreaded post-partum hair loss. The thing is my hair is looking awful at the moment. Its not that its in bad condition but it just desperately needs something done with it, its shapeless and flat and semi-permanent colour i had on previously is now faded. I desperately want it cut into an a-line lob and I want an ashy blonde with darker, faded roots. I was going to book an appointment but then the hair loss started. Are there any hair dressers that can offer some advised, I'm don't know what to do. I heard the hair loss can last a year and cant imagine the state of my hair after a year! Would it be okay to bleach and cut my hair now?

Try to remember that whilst it seems thinner, it's simply losing the amount of hair that would have been shed gradually during the length of your pregnancy, had you not been pregnant. Every single hair follows the same cycle of growing, resting and shedding and so it will settle back into this pattern in time.

A shorter cut will help it to look healthy and a good hairdresser will be able to cut it into a style that you can easily maintain whilst juggling the demands of a young family. They will also be able to advise about colouring and a few face framing lighter pieces will often make your face appear fresher.

It is fine to color your hair even while breast feeding. The chemicals in the dye will not end up in the breast milk. If you are worried about this still, get the ombre done & leave the roots natural. This will leave chemicals off the scalp & on the lengths only.

Your hair may be shedding at the moment but you will start to see regrowth shortly if not already, this should be very reassuring. The best thing you can do is eat well make sure your getting plenty of iron, zinc and b vitamins and look after yourself. Go get your hair done, bet you feel a million times better after.

Latest posts

Back