PR and Hive startup questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citrinerose

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm taking a generic waxing course in a couple of weeks and already have a willing model booked in a few days later. I have done a lot of reasearch and seems that Hive heater with PR wax is the way to go. I will be first trained in general waxing and then I want to do another course in intimate waxing, with this in mind...

1 - Is it more beneficial to buy the dual hive heater if I am going to be doing intimate and body wax? Or is working with 2 seperate heaters easier ? Or should I consider another brand heater ?
2 - PR do their own start up kit with their own brand heater and pre and post wax lotions. Is it recommended to get the whole kit from them or should I mix and match ? For example I have Kaeso manicure products at the moment and I see they also do pre and post wax lotions/oils.
3 - Is Cristal Ocean the best all rounder wax for legs and facial waxing ? Or would anyone else reccomend something else completely ?
4 - Just to throw it out there I have seen salon sytem do a whole starter kit with own brand heater and just wax products. I dont suppose anyone knows if they are any good ?

Plus any other advise that you can offer me ! Thanks

We started out with Salon system and it does not even compare to PR. We changed this year, along with some very good training in female intimate with the lovely Kim Lawless. My waxing has sored! The salon system now looking back is laughable, it took ages to set and it was so rock hard, I think now to myself what was I doing?
We have the Hive double wax heaters and they are working out great for us. We use Cristal Ocean and Homme. Clients have commented how good they find the wax, compared to other in my area and stick with us.
I ignored waxing as the treatment to invest money in when I first started out but looking at my books it's one of my top selling treatments and I knew it needed looking at to progress further. We have PR leaflets we give out to clients aftercare etc and they love this.
Hope this helps. X

Thanks so much. I'm a little unsure on PR own heater as it doesn't come with a lid like hive does. I'm looking at possibly working mobile too so just not sure to start off with the hive single heater for now until I qualify in intimate waxing. Or just buy the whole starter kit with PR without the heater. Have you tried their pre and post wax items or do you use another brand ? x

1. I started out with a Hive double heater, the problem is that if it breaks you don't have any heater. I very soon found the smaller bucket didn't hold enough hot wax to last me the day and constantly needed topping up. I now have 3 single Hive heaters on the go at once - strip wax in one, hot wax in the other two.

2. I only use PR products, I personally think it looks more professional to use one good quality brand for everything, rather than bits and pieces from different brands.

3. I don't use strip wax for facial waxing. For legs/chest/backs Cristal Ocean is good, my favourite is their Mojito strip wax , I find it much nicer to work with. Try a few of their strip waxes though and see which you prefer. I just bought two tins of Pina Colada which is a creme strip wax, used one tin today and I hate it! Back to Mojito for me.

4. I had a problem with my PR delivery once and had to go to my local wholesaler to buy a bag of 'emergency use' salon systems hot wax. I used it on myself to try it out and decided that I'd rather rearrange my appointments than use it on my clients. Thankfully my delivery arrived in time and the SS wax went straight in the bin.

And for intimate wax training it's got to be Kim Lawless!

That's really helpful thanks. I've ordered a single hive heater now and the signature start up kit from PR which has a bit of everything in there :)

1. I started out with a Hive double heater, the problem is that if it breaks you don't have any heater. I very soon found the smaller bucket didn't hold enough hot wax to last me the day and constantly needed topping up. I now have 3 single Hive heaters on the go at once - strip wax in one, hot wax in the other two.

2. I only use PR products, I personally think it looks more professional to use one good quality brand for everything, rather than bits and pieces from different brands.

3. I don't use strip wax for facial waxing. For legs/chest/backs Cristal Ocean is good, my favourite is their Mojito strip wax , I find it much nicer to work with. Try a few of their strip waxes though and see which you prefer. I just bought two tins of Pina Colada which is a creme strip wax, used one tin today and I hate it! Back to Mojito for me.

4. I had a problem with my PR delivery once and had to go to my local wholesaler to buy a bag of 'emergency use' salon systems hot wax. I used it on myself to try it out and decided that I'd rather rearrange my appointments than use it on my clients. Thankfully my delivery arrived in time and the SS wax went straight in the bin.

And for intimate wax training it's got to be Kim Lawless!
Totally agree with everything Krisskross says here. I too tried Pina Colada but didn't like it. I use Homme, Blue and Mojito and Hive 1000 digital heaters. I love the Jasmine oil and refreshing blue gel and wouldn't use anything else.

Have a look to see whether Perron Rigot have any discovery days where you are. I've just been to one last month and its great as you get to try out all the different waxes to see which one suits you best. I use Homme, Blue and the cristal ocean. Tried the Pina Colada, didn't like it either. I have a tin of Nacre Blanche to try next.

Thanks so much. I'm a little unsure on PR own heater as it doesn't come with a lid like hive does. I'm looking at possibly working mobile too so just not sure to start off with the hive single heater for now until I qualify in intimate waxing. Or just buy the whole starter kit with PR without the heater. Have you tried their pre and post wax items or do you use another brand ? x
Sorry for the late response, Yes we use the blue lotion, jasmine oil & post refreshing gel. I like to keep all the same brand for a treatment, I just think it looks nicer for clients to come into a room and on a trolley have all the same brand instead of mismatch. They do notice things like this! I too tried Pina Colada for home use and didn't get on with it. I like the Mojito and the Gin Fizz. The Cristal Ocean is a Hypoallergenic wax so a good and safe all rounder for clients.

Latest posts

Back