Pregnancy and Peppermint oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuNailArtist27

Reaction score
I was looking in my text book under aromatherapy and it says that pregnant women should not use p[eppermint oil but does not explain why, does anyone know not.

I think it can cause contractions.

Rach x

peppermint oil (as well as others) is very stimulating & can bring on contractions

Things must have changed over time then. I have Maggie Tisserand's Aromatherapy for Women book and it recommends peppermint for all sorts of things when you are pregnant.

I had terrible heartburn when I was pregnant and regularly took hot water with a drop of peppermint oil, this was given to me in the hospital.

peppermint oil is used for Morning sickness, nausea, headaches, indigestion

but is only recommended in the late stages of pregnancy

Peter Pan said:
peppermint oil is used for Morning sickness, nausea, headaches, indigestion

but is only recommended in the late stages of pregnancy
in early stages though peppermint tea would work

:smack: :green: Hi when I was pregnant peppermint and lavander mixed were the only things to shift my headaches instead of tablets. As I lived in spain the peppermint cooled me down too, the midwives also give out peppermint tea in spain for heartburn etc. xx

In the early stages of pregnancy it is recomended that no oils are used.

Iv had a look in the books and some say u can use some oils & others say not to use them.

Iv been told the only one that you should use is mandarin, but it may be safer to avoid them altoghether.
It depends on how pure the oils are as well, different oils have different stregnths so some are safer than others.

Peppermint teas are different I was told as its mild, I swore by it in my last pregnancy when I felt ill as it made me feel so much better. During my first pregnancy in antenatal classes they warned against massages with oils and especially peppermint based oils as the oil can stimulate contractions. It scared me off the peppermint foot cream I had been using when I was in the early months with my twins, I was addicted to it as it was soooo cooling and made me feel much better if my feet were rubbed.

Latest posts

Back