Primer: Acid vs Non-Acid what's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamper yourself

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Me again. :p Anyways I was wondering what's the difference between an acid primer and a non-acid primer? Of course besides the fact that one has acid and the other doesn't.

Do you use one over the other for certain situations?
Do you always use just acid or non-acid?
Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for reading. I hope you will leave your comments.

An

Hi everyone,

Me again. :p Anyways I was wondering what's the difference between an acid primer and a non-acid primer? Of course besides the fact that one has acid and the other doesn't.

Do you use one over the other for certain situations?
Do you always use just acid or non-acid?
Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for reading. I hope you will leave your comments.

An

Well .... that is the main difference.

The function of a Primer (whichever type you use) is to make the surface of the nail plate more 'attractive' to the monomer and polymer you are attaching to it. Primers remove traces of oil that reduce the affective adhesion of the product to the plate.

Acid primers contain an acid which should never touch the skin and are corrosive and if misused can cause burning and damage to the skin.

Acid free primers (although not meant to be used on the skin either) do not cause the same type of damage.

BOTH types of primer are safe to use if used with knowledge and understanding.

I never use either type of primer and haven't for more than 15 years. I prefer to avoid the use of primer altogether and only use products that do not require me to use them.

Acid based primers ~ Their molecule has 2 arms, one develops a hydrogen bond that bonds to the keratin of the natural nail, the other arm undergoes a chemical reaction that develops a covalent bond, linking the primer to the nail enhancement.

Acid Free primers ~ Their molecule has arms that covalently bond to the natural nail and the nail enhancement.

(a covalent bond is stronger than a hydrogen bond)

Acid based primers ~ Their molecule has 2 arms, one develops a hydrogen bond that bonds to the keratin of the natural nail, the other arm undergoes a chemical reaction that develops a covalent bond, linking the primer to the nail enhancement.

Acid Free primers ~ Their molecule has arms that covalently bond to the natural nail and the nail enhancement.

(a covalent bond is stronger than a hydrogen bond)

I tried to keep my answer general andsimple so that the poster will understand.

I do not think the above post helps the poster to understand the difference and I would recommend her to read Doug Schoon's book that is written by the world authority in nail chemistry and who makes it understandable to the laymen (us).

Latest posts

Back