Problem business partner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluemire

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need advice. So I started a business 18 months ago and went 50/50 with my friend. We have a fantastic salon and are all self employed. Problem is I do ALL the work. She does nothing and only works 8 hours compared to my 25 hours and I do extra to cover other staff. Basically we are having a manager meeting tonifht and I want to ask her to sell me her half and have no idea how to approach it. We have been here before and she has all the excuses under the sun. I'm just fed up and wanting to take full control. Has anyone got advice for me? Thank you in advance x

Id make bullet points so you can stay on track and get all of your feelings accross. Did you agree initially that it would be 50/50? If so its really bad that she's not pulling her weight. I guess it depends how fed up you are but if she's defensive or makes excuses could you maybe make a list together of what needs to change and agree to meet again in say a month? It must be really difficult with you being friends. Sorry I can't offer more advice other than stand your ground and be firm but fair. Good luck X

Hi Beauty Belle19, i am entirely fed up of the situation and dread going to work. I get no respect from her as she expects me to fix everything. Which i have always done as i don't want the business to suffer in anyway but now her mistakes are costing the business money and she just doesn't do anything about it. Her excuses are always no support from family and no childcare, might i add i have a chronic illness and 2 children also. My health is starting to suffer more due to the stress but this business is so important to me. xx

Not helpful.....but......NEVER go in with a 'friend'.
That said, there are Friends...and there are 'folk we know who seem quite nice'.:oops:o_O:mad:
Know the difference....and all will be good.:cool:
You seem to have the misfortune of a 'pseudo friend':(

You need an equal.....tell her tonight, to either pull her socks up....or give up her share so you can find someone more 'up' for making the business work!

GOOD LUCK.:)

Get out of the partnership now. The only person you can ever trust is yourself.

Total disaster and utterly pointless.
She refuses to sell her half as her parents paid for it. She says she will buy my 50% and I leave with nothing. I am devastated and heartbroken. Been crying for about an hour and a half. I have put everything into the business and I will be giving up.
#heartbroken

Seek legal advice, I think your friendship has come to an end and your business relationship never began.

What are you're rolls in the business?

Tell her that you will Do what she does! If she only works a few hrs you do that. But Tell her that, so she knows

Does the business make money, if not, what are you losing by letting her buy you out.

Sometimes in business things don't work out, but we keep plodding on, why, it's just pride. Cut your losses and start again with some changes.

While money is important, your sanity is more important. Lose the things that make you sad or upset and angry. Life's too short

Pretty awful. Really sorry to hear what's happened.

This weekend, write down your exit plan.

Include seeking legal advice and what you want your new business to look like; how you alone want it to be.

Plan the timescales involved. E.g. Finding new premises, subtly letting 'your' clients know your plan etc

Keep your partner in the dark until they really need to know.

Turn this rubbish time into an exciting new passage of your life.

I know it's easy to say but it really could be your best option. One day soon you'll look back on it as the best thing you did?

I would definitely seek legal advice. Don't stop till you know what you can do.

I think it's best if you draw a line under this venture and start again asap. You know what she's like now so why waste anymore time trying to get her to improve? She might work a bit harder for a few weeks but is bound to slip into her old ways. She knows you won't let the business fail so she has no real incentive to pull her finger out. Some people are born grafters and others are 'what's the bare minimum I can get away with' types. If she hasn't already got an inbuilt 'work hard' ethic, it's never really going to happen.

You can't change other people only your attitude towards them!

Agree with @salonfrog and speak to a solicitor and find out your legal position regarding the business before you do or say anything to anyone. Accept that it didn't work out with her but know that you have the capability to make a successful fresh start.

Also, immediately start planning to leave the business and look for suitable premises. They might be smaller that you're used to, but it will be all yours. Do not tell anyone inc. clients until it's a done deal. Make sure you have the contact details for all your clients in advance and plan to send them a nice personalised card invite with a small opening offer/discount to your new venture.

It's a bit like splitting up with a lover. You're conscious of how much time, effort and £££ you've put into the relationship but it's time to heed the saying 'don't throw good money after bad' and accept that it's run its course.

Take the money for your 50% and take all of your clients with you x

***UPDATE***
Hi everyone, firstly thank you so much for all who took the time to reply to my post. I have an update for you all.
So we had the meeting and i spent an hour and 10 minutes explaining to her about why i felt i wanted to take full reins. I said i wanted to buy her out to which she replied "she couldn't do it to her mam and dad" (who loaned her the money to buy her half) to which i replied i was in business with her and not her family. She then said she would go to the bank and get a loan and buy me out... problem is she is always in debt and i can't see how they will grant a loan considering she has so much debt already and how she only works 9 hours.... anyway....

So i was in distress and i cried my eyes out, i felt i was in mourning and the thing in life i have worked so hard to achieve against the odds was to be taken from me unfairly. I spoke to a friend who recommended i spoke to the landlady who will eventually have to be involved and let her know the situation as i am the one who works with the financial side of the business and who pays her rent to her every month. The landlady has confirmed she doesn't want her as a tenant and wants to lease the building to her. So i will have a premises but whether i have stations and equipment is another matter.

Its safe to say this has probably been the hardest few days i have had and i have seen how important the business is and how i want to fight her for it, i will walk away gladly if she hands the money over then sit back and watch the fireworks display when she gets the lease refused.

The fact she is ALWAYS in debt is a major red flag! I wish you well and I will pray that the outcome is exactly what you want. Sometimes what we want we don't get and what we get is actually BETTER!

***UPDATE***
Hi everyone, firstly thank you so much for all who took the time to reply to my post. I have an update for you all.
So we had the meeting and i spent an hour and 10 minutes explaining to her about why i felt i wanted to take full reins. I said i wanted to buy her out to which she replied "she couldn't do it to her mam and dad" (who loaned her the money to buy her half) to which i replied i was in business with her and not her family. She then said she would go to the bank and get a loan and buy me out... problem is she is always in debt and i can't see how they will grant a loan considering she has so much debt already and how she only works 9 hours.... anyway....

So i was in distress and i cried my eyes out, i felt i was in mourning and the thing in life i have worked so hard to achieve against the odds was to be taken from me unfairly. I spoke to a friend who recommended i spoke to the landlady who will eventually have to be involved and let her know the situation as i am the one who works with the financial side of the business and who pays her rent to her every month. The landlady has confirmed she doesn't want her as a tenant and wants to lease the building to her. So i will have a premises but whether i have stations and equipment is another matter.

Its safe to say this has probably been the hardest few days i have had and i have seen how important the business is and how i want to fight her for it, i will walk away gladly if she hands the money over then sit back and watch the fireworks display when she gets the lease refused.

Iv sent you an internal mail hunni.
Hope this information helps you.
Sandra x

What happened.

It all got a bit messy, her parent threatened the landlady and it was just horrible. I have a contract in place now and we have to wait until the lease comes up for renewal in february before we do any thing else? I am keeping my head down and just keeping peace until then.

Jolene

Crappy situation, hope you get sorted in February x

I feel for you, its a horrible situation. But as you say head down until feb hopefully it will all work out.

Latest posts

Back