PRS Licence Update

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chocolate said:
Just as i had to pay £1850 for a licence to teach nail extensions on my premisis

:eek: OMG who issues this licence? Sorry going off thread here I know.

My local council! Just another excuse for more money! My solictor didnt even know about it. When i opened my second salon in 1994 (feel old now) we needed a change of use, and it came up when my mum did some research on business use/classes. Its called a D1 education premisis business use.

Its like the PPL/PRS licence. Its not advertised, its not policed correctly and from the above posts, we have all been given different info, but they still expect you to have it!!

Rachel, I didn't mean to sound offish in my last post, sorry if you were offended.

This stuff is totally annoying and it really doesn't help if the PRS and giving out different info to different people. They specifically say on their website that they are targetting salons so we really need to do something as a group to have any chance of getting the unfair fee lowered.

*Glynis* said:
I have now spoken to the Performing Right Society. And yes we all need a licence if our clients can hear music in the salon irrespective of whether the equipment is actually in the salon or not.

It makes no difference if you only deal with one client at a time.

Apparently the rate of £61 + VAT has been set after negotations with the National Hairdressers' Federation who cover all hair and beauty!!

No negotiations have been held with ANT. I am waiting for them to get back to me because I want to know why they are not representing us on this one.

The £61 covers up to 12 members of the public listening. This is of course a larger number than most of us would have in our nail only salons, so I think we should have a lower rate.

We need to deal with this as a group I think, unless we want to pay the same as much larger organisations. Maybe its just me whos a stingey git!

Those of you working in hairdressers or renting a table elsewhere will obviously be covered by the owners' licence.
Are u serious??? You mean you guys have to have a licensed to play a radio or TV in your shops....and PAY to do it????? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of in the whole of my life. Whoever these PRS people are need to be drawn and quartered, tarred and feathered and then flaked and flogged!!!!:irked: :irked: :irked:

Ms.Matrix said:
Are u serious??? You mean you guys have to have a licensed to play a radio or TV in your shops....and PAY to do it????? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of in the whole of my life.

You can say that again !

There are SO many shops / businesses that play music and I can guarantee you that not a single one of them have a license.

How many people actually know about this ? I certainly have never heard of it before and I'm sure if you went up and down your local High Street, nobody there would know either.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a law abiding citizen, but how the bloody heck will they ever be able to police such a thing ?? How can they prove that you are playing your radio or listening to CD's ??

This is just yet another way to make money !

River

Oh Glynnis i wasnt offended! I wish there were more people like you! Its good to know that someone else out there is like me, just trying to do the right thing.

I am choca with clients today, but i am going to ring them and ask them to put it in writing, as its not fair that they are giving us all different info. I will also write on behalf of the ANT to the business section to try to obtain better rates for ANT members.

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

I had my letter this morning and called for clarification.

He only mentioned one license - the 72.72 (ish) one for up to 5 chairs. I explained that I worked from home and how can they dispensate for the fact my hubby might be playing the radio in another part of the house and my client can hear it - I was told I DO NOT NEED A LICENSE and they are sending a confirmation letter.

If you work from home and do not have open door for anyone to walk in at any time and only have one client at a time then you do not need a license.

I hope this is what everyone else understands.

Well they phoned me today and I just said I was giving up the business and moving to Spain ... just didn't say when!

I never bothered to get a license when I had my salon ... refused to do it. No one ever asked either. But I'd take my chances with a fine I think. I wouldn't pay them a penny piece. Tell them to take everyone to court and get stuffed. The government has never given a stuff about small businesses and yet it is people like us who are the back bone of Great Britain.

It makes very interesting reading this post....I think if I get a demand I will stave it off until they decide to take me to court.

Who, at the end of the day gets the money from these people....is it the artists....if you play Madonna all day every day, does she get the money.....as if she needs an extra 72 quid....how can they divide the money equally between all the artists that we play, to pay their royalties, either on radio, tape cd, mp3, whatever???

It's mad! Or am I just being too simplistic?

I was only talking this evening to a lady who has a shop almost opposite my, soon to be, salon and she said that yesterday she had a letter from the PRS telling her she had to get licence if she was playing music in her shop. So it is not only salons that are being targeted :irked: It seems they are after any shop that 'may be' playing music and they want £110 off of her if she is.

Doesn't it just cheese you off.....dont they get enough money out of you just on the cost of a CD????? :mad:

I had a client today - yes I did LOL - and she works in the hospital and she said it is a nightmare there because they cant just have a license for the whole hospital - each department needs a separate one.

Im just so confused. dont we contribute and pay royalties when we purchase their CD ??? do they not receive royalties from the radio playing their song ? and what on earth do we pay our TV licence for ?

I got my letter today too so i guess i'll wait for the phone call and go from there but im not going to pay, like others have said i'd rather turn off than pay !

kx

Cathie! said:
Who, at the end of the day gets the money from these people....is it the artists....if you play Madonna all day every day, does she get the money.....as if she needs an extra 72 quid....how can they divide the money equally between all the artists that we play, to pay their royalties, either on radio, tape cd, mp3, whatever???

It's mad! Or am I just being too simplistic?
Hmm! I was thinking this too!
Id really like it explained to me where the money goes!

A loony thought just ran through my head... what about all those annoying people on public transport who play their MP3's & Walkmans too loud?... do they need a licence to play their music to their unwilling audience?
Dont mean to trivialise the issue but its all so insane!

We got a letter at the salon 2 weeks ago, my cousin read it and tore it up! said there was no way she was paying out lol
its only a small salon (but very busy) and maybe only 4/5 facials a week are booked, its only during this time that calming music is played.
I think its alot of money for 5 hrs of music a week!

Latest posts

Back