Qualifications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairbyTor

Reaction score
Can I ask what peoples qualification level is?

I'm level 2 hair and run my own mobile business. I applied for the level 3 starting in September and if I'm honest it's all a lot of hassle and paperwork trying to sort out burseries, advanced learner loan etc.

Is level 3 worth the hassle and having or are you getting on just as well with a level 2?

If you're confident in your skills and happily running your own business, then maybe just continue as you are for now. I'd certainly be wary about taking on any debt unless it was absolutely necessary.
If you were thinking about opening a salon and employing staff in the future, you might be better spending the money on business related courses.

Level 3 covers more advanced techniques for cutting and colouring, bridal hair, etc. but you can learn these by studying online or by doing short (cutting/colouring) courses.
I completed level 3 and have done a number of advanced courses inc. barbering as I enjoy learning and could afford to do them, but I don't think they're absolutely essential. It really depends on your own interests and plans for the future. Also, I did a fast track level 3 and because my husband was starting chemo and I had a supportive tutor, I completed level 3 in under 6 months.

Thank you, that's really helpful.

I'm a single mum, a carer and running my business, I'm happy with my skills but thought about getting the level 3 done before my daughter starts school next year just to have all the official qualifications.

I do look for additional courses and refresh or learn new skills through pricate courses, so I think this is the way forward.

If you decided to look for employment in the future, any salon owner is going to be more concerned with whether you can bring an existing client base with you and your personality, speed and overall competency. As long as you have level 2, I doubt that most employers will care whether you have a level 3 qualification.

You sound like you're busy enough and doing pretty well as you are so I wouldn't rush into anything at the moment.

Thank you, I really appreciate the response and it's made me feel a lot more confident about my options!

Latest posts

Back