Qualified beauty therapist in need of career help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmee

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a qualified beauty therapist with NVQ Level 2 & Level 3 Beauty and qualified a few years ago in college. When i was in college, i thought there was more to the customer service side of things as well as prepping for treatments and the actual carrying out of treatments. I love learning new things especially if it's ways i can improve my skills in beauty. When i left college, i finally ended up getting myself a job at a salon/spa. I was so excited as this was my first ever job working in the industry and i couldn't have been happier finally doing what i love. Unfortunately, things went down hill. Really far down hill. And even though i enjoyed the job, i hated it. After this, i feel like a failure as a beauty therapist. I had a lot of complaints from regular clients that came to the salon, not just by email, but by letters sent through the post. Some clients would call me worthless and that i shouldn't have worked there. My boss was a nice person, they believed it wasn't my fault but my lack of training in the industry. But even if that was true, they made me feel like i wasn't worth it and told me to my face that I've lost them hundreds of pounds and would train me, but don't have the time nor resources to do so, and they let me go. I got no help, no advice no direction on what i was supposed to do or where to go to get proper training and help to become a good therapist. Does anyone here have any advice on what i should do? I don't want to give up as i love what i do, yet i feel that my training that i had is at bad standards and I'm back to square one again with what i want to do. I literally cry, because i feel like I'm just worthless :(. Does anyone have any ideas of what i should do or where to go from here?

Thank you!!!

Hugs. Industry is a whole different ballgame to college. You need to gain some experience. You shouldn't have been employed to work on clients without any work experience or induction training. No reputable business should do that, because they will know that you won't be ready. I can't take on a full time recently qualified therapist because it's too much training, but I can take on a part-timer. I've started girls on 4 hours a week as a trial and gradually added hours as they have proved themselves.

You ideally should have been working part-time whilst you were studying. Send out polite, nicely written letters to businesses asking for 2 weeks unpaid part-time work experience as a salon junior. Try a small salon. Most businesses will be sympathetic if they are not paying you. When I did my work experience in industry I had to pay £40 a day for "supervision" so don't begrudge working unpaid. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn to be very helpful, don't wait to be shown or told what to do, watch and learn and anticipate. Set up a couch for a treatment. Fill up solution bottles, wipe nail polish bottle rims, dust shelves, arrange products nicely, empty bins, fold towels. Try and prove that you are worth a few hours paid employment. At the end of the work experience ask if ther is any chance of some paid part time hours. Make sure that you have looked at the bookings and worked out when the business could do with a hand. Usually Thursdays Fridays and Saturdays are busy.

If you show willing, most small businesses will find you some hours. This will help you build your confidence.

Hugs. Industry is a whole different ballgame to college. You need to gain some experience. You shouldn't have been employed to work on clients without any work experience or induction training. No reputable business should do that, because they will know that you won't be ready. I can't take on a full time recently qualified therapist because it's too much training, but I can take on a part-timer. I've started girls on 4 hours a week as a trial and gradually added hours as they have proved themselves.

You ideally should have been working part-time whilst you were studying. Send out polite, nicely written letters to businesses asking for 2 weeks unpaid part-time work experience as a salon junior. Try a small salon. Most businesses will be sympathetic if they are not paying you. When I did my work experience in industry I had to pay £40 a day for "supervision" so don't begrudge working unpaid. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn to be very helpful, don't wait to be shown or told what to do, watch and learn and anticipate. Set up a couch for a treatment. Fill up solution bottles, wipe nail polish bottle rims, dust shelves, arrange products nicely, empty bins, fold towels. Try and prove that you are worth a few hours paid employment. At the end of the work experience ask if ther is any chance of some paid part time hours. Make sure that you have looked at the bookings and worked out when the business could do with a hand. Usually Thursdays Fridays and Saturdays are busy.

If you show willing, most small businesses will find you some hours. This will help you build your confidence.

Hi TheDuchess,

Thank you so much for replying to this thread, i am going to follow your advice :)

Latest posts

Back