Question about heating wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Hello waxers, fresh from my course, I'm about to be let loose on my first victim tomorrow!

Can anyone tell me, as I only have an armpit and lip & chin tomorrow, can I tip out a small amount of wax into a disposable liner and just heat that instead of heating the entire tub? The first of many stupid questions I'm sure, thank you!

Hey blossom ,

When waxing it's very important that the wax is at the correct temperature throughout the entire pot, and it's best to always have the pot at least half full

having just a small amount of wax in the pot can mean you wax can get too hot very quickly and accidents are more likely to happen

If you plan on doing just the odd brow or lip you can get small wax pots that mean your not wasting lot of energy heating a big one up [emoji173]️

Thank you [emoji4]
That makes perfect sense.
I think sometimes I will have a lot, and sometimes just a brow or lip on a nail person.
We were advised to all buy the compact heater (medium size) so that's what I've bought.

Can you tell me if I heat a 450g tub of cream wax in a 500cc heater how long does it take to go solid once the heater is turned off? Friday I've a wax at 11.30 and another at 3 so would I turn the heater off in between or keep on low?

Thank you so much. These are not questions that occurred to me to ask at the time!

It depends how good you are at remembering to turn it back on when you’re busy! I would leave it on as you’ll find clients saying “oh you couldn’t just...”

I allow about 90 mins to ensure my wax is evenly heated up and ready to use. I always have it at least half full.
If I've got several leg waxes to do, then I start with it full (fill it up the night before when still hot)
I always have my wax hot and ready to use even if none booked as clients often say ' you couldn't just do my brows / top lip while I'm here?'
Quick easy extra money for me! [emoji122]

If you travel to your salon then set up a timer so your wax is ready to go when you arrive for work.

It depends how good you are at remembering to turn it back on when you’re busy! I would leave it on as you’ll find clients saying “oh you couldn’t just...”

Yes I can see that happening all the time lol

I don't always have my couch set up as a lot of my clients come for nails,is it acceptable to wax a clients lip chin or brow in the chair or is that very unprofessional? X

If I have a client in for a re-shellac manicure, I wrap their nails, then put them on the couch for their lip/chin/brow wax, by which time their Shellac is fully soaked and ready to remove.
Real time saver!

If I have a client in for a re-shellac manicure, I wrap their nails, then put them on the couch for their lip/chin/brow wax, by which time their Shellac is fully soaked and ready to remove.
Real time saver!
Totally agree with this

Yes I can see that happening all the time lol

I don't always have my couch set up as a lot of my clients come for nails,is it acceptable to wax a clients lip chin or brow in the chair or is that very unprofessional? X
Is there room for your couch to stay up? You can wax on a chair but you run the risk of getting wax on your clients, especially if using strip wax. It’s also more difficult to see all the hairs and get the angle to stretch adequately.

On the odd occasion when I have had to wax the face with the client in a chair (because they physically can't get up on to the couch) I've found it very difficult as you still need them to tilt their head back a little bit. Lip and chin not so bad to do if client good at holding their head steady but eyebrows would be challenging!
A reclining chair would be ok but I would imagine your client chair for nails is very upright?
If you are adding waxing to your services then you'll probably need to have your couch up a lot more.
Perhaps you can rethink the layout of your room to incorporate it?
I've worked in small beauty cubicles where the bed is against the wall with space to stand at the head end. This works fine and you have your wax on a trolley which you then move into place next to you once the client is settled.

I can see what you're saying! I don't want to risk getting wax on them or their clothes [emoji33] esp as I'm concentrating on the technicalities at the moment being new!

Couch is up, nail desk is up, it's actually fine [emoji23] I can shove it over against one wall when not in use as well.

CFBS can you wax an armpit from the opposite side? [emoji44]

Thank you x

Stand at the head end. You get access to both from there

If the bed is against a wall and no chance of pulling it out, i would wax one armpit, then get them to lie the other way round, moving their pillow for them. It didn't seem to faze them!
If your client is skinny enough for you to lean over, then you can actually wax both armpits from one side! [emoji122]

Latest posts

Back