Question re: Sculpting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercury

Reaction score
Hi there,

In GMG's Tutorial on sculpting he says this:

If the free edge is long, I want to ensure there is no curling along the lower arch
(curling along the lower arch will push down on my form and lead to seepage underneath the nail).

I'm trying to get my head around that visually with a smidgeon of difficulty. Can someone give me some further clues, please? I'm going to attempt some Brisa gel sculpts on a friend this weekend, as well as L&P later on...

Thanks heaps,
Katy

Hi Kathy

If you have not ever sculpted then seepage occurs when you dont have a snug fit to the nail and the product oozes underneath.

I always check the underside of the hand or naill to make sure there are no gaps if the free edge is longer

I hope this helps in someway and I am not causing anymore confusion

Fab x

Thanks Fab!

That helps... I've been experimenting putting forms on my own fingers which are kinda flat and so I've noticed how it can be a little tricky closing that gap completely. Any tips on how to put forms on flattish nail beds with zero gap? Does a miniscule gap still count, or does the product still seep?

Ta,
Katy

Hi

I have flat nails too - the best way is to check out your own natural smile line (hyponychium shape). Is it straight across (which flat nails often are) or is it a deep smile line. Once you've sorted that, look at the form where it's going to sit against this line. Is the curve of the form here the same as the curve of your smile line? If not then use a pair of curved scissors to cut the form to match you smile line shape. Bingo - you'll never have seepage again and you'll always get the forms angle bang on correct every time xxxx

Mandini!!! :) Thank you so much for that! That is beautifully simple! I'll give it a go, and let you know how I get on!

And yes, my smile lines are quite straight.... I plan to use opaque colours to cover it up and lengthen my natural nailbed...

Katy :)

Oooh mandini ... that is so good :) I often cut the form for wide flat nails but now i can see the shape that i should be cutting. Thankyou x

One other thing though if the client wants to keep her length but have them lengthened form fitting can be difficult so whats the best thing to do in this situation please?

Latest posts

Back