Rate of pay for therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essence Within

Reaction score
Hi everyone- just wandered what you think is reasonable rate of pay for therapist. I am qualified in Holistic therpaies vtct level 2& 3 with advanced courses in reflexology, i do indian head(which i know most people do now) hot stones, aromatherapy, i have also done man/ped and waxing training and do facials. I also have trained in colour and crystal(but dont use in salon). I know it depends on the salon and the area of the country etc but just wanted some sort of idea. Im on £6.75 and am 25 which i know is better than some but also some people can be on £8 +. (im only on 25p more than when i used to clean!?) I also wandered what further training I would need to get a better wage, would I need my full beauty therapy(as have only done aspects of it) or would I have been better doing a degree in my chosen area? Any comment happily received x x

I am on more than that with just nvq 1 and 2.
Why dont you speak to your boss if you are not happy?
xxx

well, thats what im planning on doing as soon as my 3 month trial is up, however, I dont know what the 'going rate' is, so have no comparison really? The other therapist has been ther elonger and has more experience in the industry than me , she also cashes up and opens salon on occasions so know she gets paid more. As i dont have these responsibilities think manager will say no- but i could do it but she doesn't ask. Also, are my diplomas equivalent to an nvq ? Thanks for your advice.

Pay isn't always linked to training or certificates but how much money you bring in to the salon. Are you getting commission? My therapists aren't on great basics but get extremely good comm.
You have to look at the total take home pay in relation to how much you bring into the salon to work out if its fair.

when i was employed I was on 6.50!!!!!! (my pound sign not working) I have an HND (which is 3 years at college) and 6 years experience! this was one of the reasons i went self employed. Got no commission from products sold, paid for training myself, opened/closed salon, stock takes etc...... I must have been mad!:eek:

I am fully qualified beauty level 2, level 3 massage, ear candling, l+p nails, gel nails..... And I'm on.... Wait for it... ...MINIMUM WAGE! 4.77 for my age group. Its slave labour. No commision. No nothing. X x x
Posted via Mobile Device

i'm fully qualified with level 2 & 3 as well and i'm on minimun wage for my age £5.77 it think, i dont get commission, holiday pay or anything!

its frustrating when you see how much money you take in then get so little back! go self employed!! best choice i ever made :)

I'm self-employed and would have it no other way, but it's not for everyone. When you have your own salon and all the overheads you quickly realise that there's not as much profit as you like to think per treatment, and add employment costs into that (i.e. your employees get paid even when they're not working) and it quickly becomes clear why many employers offer a low rate of pay. When you're self-employed it forces you to be self-motivated in a way that employed staff don't have to be - if you don't get in clients you don't get paid.

In the majority of cases, working for an employer doesnt really pay much. HOWEVER, you get very good experience, in terms of confidence, how to time yourself after working back to back each day and you build up a great clientele.

Obviously you dont steal clients from a salon (although I know of 2 Therapists who did). However, some people choose to follow you when you leave. Would you turn them away?

From working in salons for not much pay I have met really lovely people who I am still in contact with (no I didnt steal them as clients!) So it swings both ways really, but I guess at the end of the day, its all about money...:hug:

i'm fully qualified with level 2 & 3 as well and i'm on minimun wage for my age £5.77 it think, i dont get commission, holiday pay or anything!

You are legally entitled to holiday pay if you are employed. You should take this up with your employer x

if you were working for me, then it would depend on how much you were bringing into the salon and in most salons you would need to be bringing in 3 times your wages. You's might all think you're not getting paid a lot but by the time i shelled out all my expenses, i saw many's a week my staff got more than me! Min wage can be a curse too, i had a junior this wk who could do nothin and i still had to pay her 4.77 an hr for and i end up rounding it up to a fiver. I do try to pay staff more than the min wage as it makes em feel valued but i dunno if any1 apreciates it!

Latest posts

Back