Reaction around nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie123

Reaction score
Hi girls

Can anyone help. My client has contacted me a couple of days after having acrylics done and asked if I changed any products (which I haven't). Wondered if anyone can help. The picture isn't brilliant but you can see the skin sort of looks burnt where it is white. Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks

Vicky

Attachments

• IMG_2174.PNG
    IMG_2174.PNG
    478.2 KB · Views: 188
It looks like it's blistering possibly from an allergic reaction.
I have a client who has the same and an allergic reaction which can start at any time even with the same products.
I'd remove them asap for her

Agree with @ciderella71
Are any other fingers affected or just this one?
It looks like it might be the beginning of a reaction, so best to remove the product and let it heal.

It looks like it's blistering possibly from an allergic reaction.
I have a client who has the same and an allergic reaction which can start at any time even with the same products.
I'd remove them asap for her
Thanks for the response Xx

Agree with @ciderella71
Are any other fingers affected or just this one?
It looks like it might be the beginning of a reaction, so best to remove the product and let it heal.
Thanks for the response Xx
It was just the thumb but by the time I had responded with your comments she said it was on all of them! Thanks for helping girls x

It was just the thumb but by the time I had responded with your comments she said it was on all of them! Thanks for helping girls x
Hi!
I'm new to this blog thing, so bare with me LOL! Your question is the reason I decided to sign up. I have been doing nails just shy of 30 years (YIKES! This is just to verify my experiences). I don't want to make assumptions on what type of nails you are doing whether it be acrylic, hard gel, or gel polish. I took a quick look at the pic, couldn't quite tell what was going on. By what you have described it definitely sounds like a reaction. In my experience it can get ugly, yes. But not all is hopeless. I have had many clients (my mother included) that have developed allergic reactions over the years. And yes, they can develop at any time. I have even consulted a dermatologist on this matter years ago. Generally I have found that it starts mildly on the middle and ring fingers (why I don't know) but, a lot of times the client dismisses it and you are unaware till it gets bad. You could be motoring along with this client for years and then it happens. I personally have decided to continue doing their nails BUT, (big BUT) I have had to put my skills to the test. Being Very careful not to contact the skin! What I have found is that the biggest culprit is using a primer. I have moved onto hard gels over 28 years ago and have completely eliminated the use of any primer. For my clients that have this issue I have recommended they follow up their appt with the use of benedryl cream in the case of a flare up. I also recommended that they put off their fillins as long as possible to reduce the exposure. I completely agree with the others, Ciderella and AcidPerm, that if you are Not Comfortable with continuing their service, then by all means Stop! Thing is, you must wait for the flare up to calm down before you attempt to remove them. Too soon and you can make a matter worse. When the skin around the nail is inflamed it can push up into the nail and cause a break in the tissue and then opening up to a staff infection. So the recommendation of a triple anti-biotic cream would be a good idea also. I understand that Neosporin will promote Too much cell growth (coming from a client, the wife of a hand surgeon) so please advise a triple anti-biotic cream. I tell my clients "No to Neo". Whew! sorry for the book! I'm just trying to pack as much personal knowledge as possible into this. I've had to figure things out on my own many times due to the fact that blogs like this were not available. The education of nails is for buying and using product. When it comes to the health and well being of your loyal clients information is less available from a mfg. I'm not slamming the mfg. They are going to give you the best solution to a situation that may carry large liabilities. I have to remember that I have a responsibility to my clients as a professional. I hope this helps.
Take care and much luck in your endeavors!
Jenniffer

Hi!
I'm new to this blog thing, so bare with me LOL! Your question is the reason I decided to sign up. I have been doing nails just shy of 30 years (YIKES! This is just to verify my experiences). I don't want to make assumptions on what type of nails you are doing whether it be acrylic, hard gel, or gel polish. I took a quick look at the pic, couldn't quite tell what was going on. By what you have described it definitely sounds like a reaction. In my experience it can get ugly, yes. But not all is hopeless. I have had many clients (my mother included) that have developed allergic reactions over the years. And yes, they can develop at any time. I have even consulted a dermatologist on this matter years ago. Generally I have found that it starts mildly on the middle and ring fingers (why I don't know) but, a lot of times the client dismisses it and you are unaware till it gets bad. You could be motoring along with this client for years and then it happens. I personally have decided to continue doing their nails BUT, (big BUT) I have had to put my skills to the test. Being Very careful not to contact the skin! What I have found is that the biggest culprit is using a primer. I have moved onto hard gels over 28 years ago and have completely eliminated the use of any primer. For my clients that have this issue I have recommended they follow up their appt with the use of benedryl cream in the case of a flare up. I also recommended that they put off their fillins as long as possible to reduce the exposure. I completely agree with the others, Ciderella and AcidPerm, that if you are Not Comfortable with continuing their service, then by all means Stop! Thing is, you must wait for the flare up to calm down before you attempt to remove them. Too soon and you can make a matter worse. When the skin around the nail is inflamed it can push up into the nail and cause a break in the tissue and then opening up to a staff infection. So the recommendation of a triple anti-biotic cream would be a good idea also. I understand that Neosporin will promote Too much cell growth (coming from a client, the wife of a hand surgeon) so please advise a triple anti-biotic cream. I tell my clients "No to Neo". Whew! sorry for the book! I'm just trying to pack as much personal knowledge as possible into this. I've had to figure things out on my own many times due to the fact that blogs like this were not available. The education of nails is for buying and using product. When it comes to the health and well being of your loyal clients information is less available from a mfg. I'm not slamming the mfg. They are going to give you the best solution to a situation that may carry large liabilities. I have to remember that I have a responsibility to my clients as a professional. I hope this helps.
Take care and much luck in your endeavors!
Jenniffer

Oh I love this response thank you that's really kind. You certainly know your stuff. The nail world is so scary as a newbie.

I have seen the said client since as she recommended her friend to me. She wanted to keep her nails on regardless as she loved them and sought help at the chemist which cleared the reaction up. She also said she is still coming back for her next set. I have also since learnt that she tends to easily react to many products which made me feel a little better ☺️

I do tips with acrylic... would you recommend I try her next set minus the primer? There have been times I accidentally forget to put primer on the first couple of nails and it never seems to effect the longevity of them

Oh I love this response thank you that's really kind. You certainly know your stuff. The nail world is so scary as a newbie.

I have seen the said client since as she recommended her friend to me. She wanted to keep her nails on regardless as she loved them and sought help at the chemist which cleared the reaction up. She also said she is still coming back for her next set. I have also since learnt that she tends to easily react to many products which made me feel a little better ☺️

I do tips with acrylic... would you recommend I try her next set minus the primer? There have been times I accidentally forget to put primer on the first couple of nails and it never seems to effect the longevity of them

If it were me I would give it a go without the primer. I explain to my client what is happening and what I am going to eliminate or change. I ask them to keep me posted on any changes that occur ASAP so that I can fix any issues. Oh! I forgot to mention...I also found that hot water and Dawn dish washing detergent can aggravate the situation. LOL! I can be short on memory. I'm so excited to hear that your client is wanting to come back. That shows that she loves your work and has faith in your abilities. Don't give up. The challenges that are presented to you become your best assets as they push us to become the best we can be. XOXO

She also said she is still coming back for her next set. I have also since learnt that she tends to easily react to many products which made me feel a little better ☺️

Just beware that the previous poster is based in the US where health and legal matters are dealt with quite differently over there.

Legal position: If you as the trained professional, agree to ignore the symptoms too and should she subsequently suffer a worse reaction, you risk your insurer refusing to cover you should she decide to sue. This is because you went ahead knowing that she had already told you about the reaction.
Remember signed waivers have no legal status in the UK and if anything, they support the claimant as it proves that you went ahead knowing that the service was potentially harmful.

Health: you mustn't ever give any medical advice to clients unless you are medically qualified. Always advise the client to see their pharmacist or GP, if you think something might require treatment.
You cannot purchase 'triple action' antibiotic creams over the counter here as they're 'prescription only' but you can buy eczema creams containing 1% hydrocortisone.

Latest posts

Back