Red and sore after under arm wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anettes

Reaction score
Hi all,
I did a waxing course in January this year.
Waxing armpits is unfortunaly one thing we did not do.
Lately I was asked if I do this so since I never done it I asked my teacher first how to proceed and she said there is nothing special to it just do as any wax...:sad:
Decided to try on my sis first,luckily,and I found it really difficult,the hair in the middle did not stick at all to the wax and I had to remove quite a lot with a tweezers -in order not to "over wax" same area...
Anyway my sis was a bit red and the next day she went to the beach..but had to go back - area was REALLY sore and now it is REALLY red:sad:
She tried Aloe but that just make it even more red and then talcum powder which eased her from the pain ...
I would really appreciate any one knowing why it became so red and sore...is that normal under the arms...and how do you wax under arms..
It was a complettt failure and I am really happy it was my sis rather than a client and quite disappointed by my teachers short answer..
Could it be an allergic reaction perhaps and what is best way to reduce the redness and soreness...

When you do underarms you need to do it in small patches. The hair mostly grows in a few different directions. Put the wax on with hair growth and pull off against the grain. Make sure the skin is taut. Maybe that'll help? I'm not sure you'll be insured to perform a treatment you aren't trained in though? May be best to check xx

Going to the beach after probably didn't help either,its even more important to follow aftercare instructions with underarm and bikini wax,as it is such a sensitive area and the hair is much stronger than legs
If the hair is very long you will need to trim it and you need to use a barrier before the wax.Ie pre wax oil.The wax will then only stick to the hair and not the skin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3jaW9ArFs
This is quite a good tutorial on you tube.There are others.Some of which you will see using non strip wax which might be an option for you as it tends to be more gentle on the skin but tough on hairs.

Last edited:
.... also don't forget - no deodorant for 12-24 hours x

It's hurts me for a good 2-3 days after because I've not been having it done for long and it is a sensitive area :)

When you do underarms you need to do it in small patches. The hair mostly grows in a few different directions. Put the wax on with hair growth and pull off against the grain. Make sure the skin is taut. Maybe that'll help? I'm not sure you'll be insured to perform a treatment you aren't trained in though? May be best to check xx

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will check out the insurance

It's hurts me for a good 2-3 days after because I've not been having it done for long and it is a sensitive area :)
So it is common then,2-3 days,do you put any cream or anything on to help ?

Going to the beach after probably didn't help either,its even more important to follow aftercare instructions with underarm and bikini wax,as it is such a sensitive area and the hair is much stronger than legs
If the hair is very long you will need to trim it and you need to use a barrier before the wax.Ie pre wax oil.The wax will then only stick to the hair and not the skin.
Underarm Wax Tutorial with Helen McGuinness for Professional Beauty Training - YouTube
This is quite a good tutorial on you tube.There are others.Some of which you will see using non strip wax which might be an option for you as it tends to be more gentle on the skin but tough on hairs.
Excellent tips ! thanks again to all of you :biggrin:

This is not your fault but a good waxing course should have covered this. Please do not wax clients until you have had some further training for yourself and prospective clients.

It is not common for underarms to hurt for 2-3 days afterwards. The correct prep and technique will not cause this. Please refer to your trainer and say that you need further training as you cannot feel confident until you have been taught the correct procedure.

This is not your fault but a good waxing course should have covered this. Please do not wax clients until you have had some further training for yourself and prospective clients.

It is not common for underarms to hurt for 2-3 days afterwards. The correct prep and technique will not cause this. Please refer to your trainer and say that you need further training as you cannot feel confident until you have been taught the correct procedure.

Unfortunaly my trainer once I asked was not particulary helpful..
And luckily as I said this was my sis..
What do you recommend for her to use for the redness ?

Hi there, your sis should try to avoid going at it with all sorts of different lotions and potions as it'll aggravate the area and end up having the opposite effect when she just wants relief. If you can get together with her - cleanse the area with after wax lotion, - preferably after wax oil, leaving a little oil on the skin to help with friction, leave the areas alone and they'll get better in a day or so. Also if she can stay cool as possible to avoid sweating and keep the area deodorant free thus will also help.

I would take her to the pharmacy and get the pharmacist to assist you. If it had not got better after a few days then she may need a trip to her GP. It is a shame you and your sister had such an unfortunate experience. Find another trainer and hopefully they will equip you better.

Hi there, your sis should try to avoid going at it with all sorts of different lotions and potions as it'll aggravate the area and end up having the opposite effect when she just wants relief. If you can get together with her - cleanse the area with after wax lotion, - preferably after wax oil, leaving a little oil on the skin to help with friction, leave the areas alone and they'll get better in a day or so. Also if she can stay cool as possible to avoid sweating and keep the area deodorant free thus will also help.
After wax oil - will try that ! Thank you :p

Personally I prefer a very thin layer of oil rather than talc, support the skin properly too otherwise you will cause trauma.

The biggest thing with underarm waxing is to be observant. Take time to look properly at the direction of the growth of hair. Some underarms can be done with one strip as there is not a lot of hair and it all grows in one direction. Some, however are a nightmare and need to be sectioned.

Take your time and get it right and you will have loyal customers for the rest of your career. :D

Personally I prefer a very thin layer of oil rather than talc, support the skin properly too otherwise you will cause trauma.

The biggest thing with underarm waxing is to be observant. Take time to look properly at the direction of the growth of hair. Some underarms can be done with one strip as there is not a lot of hair and it all grows in one direction. Some, however are a nightmare and need to be sectioned.

Take your time and get it right and you will have loyal customers for the rest of your career. :D

Tks This whole thing was a nightmare and I am feeling really sorry for my sis..she saying this was the first and last time getting waxed.I just hope the redness will go asap....

I do think underarms are a tricky area to wax and can be really sensitive. Wax in small sections holding skin taught when applying & removing wax xx

Very tricky and takes practice. Everyone has a lot of great advice!
I personally, cleanse and let it dry, apply a small dusting of talc and gently massage it into the skin, apply in small sections (less chance of bruising) , pull it really tight and quickly remove the strip, your free hand should be instantaneously placed over the area and apply slight pressure, repeat until all the hair is gone, voila

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374069560.088260.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1374069560.088260.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,390
Oooh and massage some after wax oil in to soothe, protect and remove any left over residue from wax ;)

I have to say underarm waxing is my worst thing to wax, the majority of my ladies shave in between appointments and their hairs are going in all kinds of directions! Very rare that i find someone with the hairs all going the same way! Had a few men in last week for underarms and there's all went in the same direction, was so much better that way!

Latest posts

Back