Registering a business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammijbeauty

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I am a total newbie to this site so am sorry if I am repeating a question already asked but here goes...

I am just about to move to a salon from being mobile, to rent a chair it's a fabulous salon and I'm really excited but confused by the 'business' aspect

I am registered self employed but do I need to register the business with companies house? How do you go about claiming back VAT well that's if we can?

Also should the salon be providing the equipment or me? As in the nail colours, lashes, tanning etc?

Thanks in advance for helping 😄

Unless you plan to make more than about £20K profit per annum you're best staying as a sole trader, with no need to register a company at Companies House.
Unless your turnover is more than 79K you don't need to register for VAT, and I would avoid this as you are providing services rather than product, and you would effectively 20% of your takings to VAT.
With regard to who provides the equipment that's entirely down to the arrangement you make with the salon owner.
The only important thing is to get a contract, in writing. Do NOT start unless you have one.

Latest posts

Back