Regular polish chipping on extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Tips

Reaction score
Hi,

I use a lot of regular nail polish over extensions but find it chips really easily.
It doesn't matter what brand I use but they always seem to cheap about 5 days in.

I always cap the edges with the polish and top coat and layers aren't too thick but it's driving me mad.
I've got a few clients booked in next week who all want the same - red polish over extensions with gold on the underside and they are all new clients.

Can anyone advise the best way to stop the chipping?
I don't want to go down the gel polish route.

TIA :)

Have you tried vinylux?! I find that's stays well put x

No I haven't actually. I might get a couple and give it a go - I've got so many polishes didn't really want to buy anymore but if it works worth a shot :)
Thanks!

Where is it chipping?

Who is it chipping on?

How do you finish the enhancement?

Hi!

It chips all around the free edge.
Chips on myself and a couple of clients - I for one don't do any manual labour or washing up etc and the others aren't ones to use their nails for tools.
I've finished both with a gel top coat and without just buffed and then put the colour on. I then use a regular top coat, either ASP Wow It's Dry! or Seche Vite.
Happens either way really! Very annoying :confused:

Your saying it chips all around the free edge, does it really chip or is it wearing away, i.e is it a smooth line all the around or does it look jagged.

Do you use a base coat for the nail polish?

Hi,

These are couple of images of my nails - these are over a week old though!
(Sorry poor quality)

No I don't use a base coat over extensions - only occasionally use the gel top coat as a base as I mentioned before to try both ways.

Attachments

• nail.jpg
    nail.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 90
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 64
With a gel polish there is no need to use a base coat but regular polish it is still recommended that you use a base coat to help adhesion, unless of course you are using vinylux as there is no need to use a base coat with this system.

Your nails seem extremely thick, and where it has chipped in right on the corner, it looks like you've caught it on something. Even gel polish with chip on enhancements if put under a lot of pressure.

Ok! I will try a base coat and hopefully that will work. Never thought of trying that :oops:
If not I'll try the same with Vinylux.

Thanks for your help guys!

Ok! I will try a base coat and hopefully that will work. Never thought of trying that :oops:
If not I'll try the same with Vinylux.

Thanks for your help guys!
Looks to me like the gel coat has chipped, taking the polish with it! :)

Latest posts

Back