Remove direct deposit color on natural hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaSha

Reaction score
My daughter is a natural level 8 and recently I used direct deposit color in a dark purple. She needs to be back to a "natural color". I don't want to lighten her natural color. Will Malibu DDL lift her natural color? Is there something I can use that won't?

What brand of direct dye did you use? Has it faded much already?
Some brands stain the cuticle layer quite badly and then nothing will shift them.

There's are a few professional direct dye removers available and how well they work will depend on various factors including whether the dye has been applied more than once but don't be tempted to use a bleach mix as this tends to make a bad situation worse.

At this stage, I would be more concerned about removing the colour sufficiently than whether the remover lightens her natural colour. Some brands of purple fade out green and have to either be cut out or coloured over.

What brand of direct dye did you use? Has it faded much already?
Some brands stain the cuticle layer quite badly and then nothing will shift them.

There's are a few professional direct dye removers available and how well they work will depend on various factors including whether the dye has been applied more than once but don't be tempted to use a bleach mix as this tends to make a bad situation worse.

At this stage, I would be more concerned about removing the colour sufficiently than whether the remover lightens her natural colour. Some brands of purple fade out green and have to either be cut out or coloured over.
Yes, Malibu ddl will lift her natural color. You can try crystal gel and cpr first(as usually suggested prior to using ddl anyway) and see if it lifts. These will not lift her natural hair. Was her hair prelightened? If not, the stain should come out a lot easier

I used ion from Sally's (I know, it was in impulse thing.)
I used Malibu CPR and three shampoos of Un Doo Goo. It is MUCH lighter. The only problem is two blue streaks. I'm considering using Malibu DDL on those spots.

I used ion from Sally's (I know, it was in impulse thing.)
I used Malibu CPR and three shampoos of Un Doo Goo. It is MUCH lighter. The only problem is two blue streaks. I'm considering using Malibu DDL on those spots.
You could definitely use ddl next and just paint it where she needs more lightening keeping an eye on it. Also the Joico Eraser works really well even though Ion is a beast to remove it may be worth a try. I also use Olaplex in between processes and you can even add 1/16oz to remover to help keep the hair strong

You could definitely use ddl next and just paint it where she needs more lightening keeping an eye on it. Also the Joico Eraser works really well even though Ion is a beast to remove it may be worth a try. I also use Olaplex in between processes and you can even add 1/16oz to remover to help keep the hair strong
Her hair feels fine. She's 10, so she has good hair.

Her hair feels fine. She's 10, so she has good hair.
The ddl and all other direct dye removers are pretty invasive and contain the same basic ingredients as bleach with a few other additions to lift dd pigment so just thinking you'd want to keep her hair as healthy as possible. Let us know how it goes! Good luck and I hope it works nicely for you

Just to advise that European health laws don't allow hairdresser's to use colouring products on children under 16 as there's found to be an increased risk of allergies, particularly during adolescence.

I don't think the law is as strict in the States but just to say, be very vigilant about Patch testing any products before using them on her, especially as she is quite young.

I hope you can find a good solution without having to give her a pixie cut. I know most of us hairdresser's experimented with colour long before our sixteenth birthdays. ;)

This is her before.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 29
This is her after.

Attachments

• IMG_4328.JPG
    IMG_4328.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 30
This is her after day 2.

Attachments