Rent a space advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like some opinions please.
I have been offered a space to rent for X amount.
A little confused every time I speak to the person the rental goes up a little.
Extras have been added like rates, water, phone and internet, pdq machine, booking software, gas, electricity, etcetera.
Is this what I am looking for do I have to take all the hidden extras into account?
There is nothing in writing yet but I think this person is adding things up as they go along.
When it comes to the final figures it will be completely different from the verbal they have quoted me.
I will have my own insurance but be under their business name and supply all of my own products and equipment.
Does this sound right?

I'd be wary too.
I don't think it's a good idea to work under their business name. Also, using her booking software and pdq machine, it sounds more like she wants you to work for her but not pay you the benefits of being employed, rather than just being your landlady and letting you run your own business as you see fit.

However, maybe she's just new to it all and not thought it through yet. Print off the sticky HMRC thread at the top of this forum and take it with you when you start negotiating terms.
If you don't agree with what she's offering, walk away.

Simply ask her to write down and email it to you or better still and written letter with her signature on it.

Then you have it all there for you to see and study and do your maths with.

We have done serval properties up and have fell foul of verbal quotes only to be billed a higher sum or when asked why such and such wasn't done, to be told it was never quoted for....

Written words are the key

Her making all these little adjustments would make me wonder what she may change in the future.

As said, get her to write it all down with a rental price. I had a flat rate which included everything except for the card machine, products and towels etc.

You will probably want to work under your own name and take your own money, paying her the rent. You don't want her to be paying you.

Also make sure you know the deal if you take holiday or if she causes a reason you can't work x

Latest posts

Back