Rent or percentage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leenie81

Beautify
Reaction score
I have a small salon. I rent a chair to a hairdresser and I am the beauty therapist and my friend would like to come and work 3 days at my shop also doing beauty. She would like to pay £20 day rent but as she might end up doing a lot of my clients when I'm busy I was thinking I'd rather do a percentage. I want it to be fair on both of us so I'm not sure what is best to do. She has about 8 clients that will follow her to my salon . What do most of you think is best rent or percentage ? She said if she did percentage to start with it would be just short term as she ideally wants to pay rent

£20 a day?!?!? Let me work at your salon :p bargain of the century.

I know she's your friend but it's a business and you need to keep it fair. Could there be possible tension between your friend and the other girl you let rent if you're charging her more than £20 a day?

£20 a day?!?!? Let me work at your salon :p bargain of the century.

I know she's your friend but it's a business and you need to keep it fair. Could there be possible tension between your friend and the other girl you let rent if you're charging her more than £20 a day?
The other hairdresser just pays £90 for the week and my friend knows this so this is why I think she suggested £20 a day. I'm so not sure what to do? Xx

Ahh okay in that case it's fair. I'm on the outskirts of London so prices are much higher here!

Rent is easier in my opinion for both parties.

With a percentage split when she goes on holiday or isn't busy you won't get any money. I rent and when I go on a 2 weeks holiday I still have to pay my rent to the salon owner!

Also you then have to decide who buys the products ect. If she rents she would bring her own products

How much do you charge for rent? Xx

I just hope it won't cause any problems in our friendship. I asked her to come to the salon along time ago but she wanted to stay loyal to her boss and thought it might ruin our friendship but she's been asked to leave the salon for being late a lot so she asked if the room was still spare xx

... but she's been asked to leave the salon for being late a lot so she asked if the room was still spare xx

Was she arriving late for booked client appointments?
If so that would be a red flag for me. Obviously, when someone is self employed it's up to them how they run their business, but if they are slack, it's bound to reflect badly on your salon.

Also, how do you settle any difference of opinion currently? Are you able to speak honestly when you disagree, and respect each other's point of view without either of you sulking? Even though she'll be renting, you're not equals in this situation as you're the one who has to ensure that the rent, water, electric, phone bills etc. are manageable and paid on time.

Was she arriving late for booked client appointments?
If so that would be a red flag for me. Obviously, when someone is self employed it's up to them how they run their business, but if they are slack, it's bound to reflect badly on your salon.

Also, how do you settle any difference of opinion currently? Are you able to speak honestly when you disagree, and respect each other's point of view without either of you sulking? Even though she'll be renting, you're not equals in this situation as you're the one who has to ensure that the rent, water, electric, phone bills etc. are manageable and paid on time.
She was late a lot but she said she won't do that again . She said if she does only three days she will be more organised. We can be honest but maybe there is sulking:-/I think ultimately she wants her own shop so I am worried but I have agreed to her coming now and she has told her clients so I need to think of the best way to go forward. I am just soft and will feelbad for her if she doesn't get busy enough ect but also I don't want to give my clients away unless I can't fit them in . What would you do? Xx

Honestly? I'd never have agreed to renting to a friend as I think it can put a strain on the friendship. :)

I think you need to start as you mean to go on and set up some ground rules. If you just have a set rent, you both know exactly what's owed and the date it's due.

Make it clear that it's for an initial period of 3 or 6 months and then you can both review it to see if you're both happy with the arrangement. Use this as a get out clause if you need to.

Being a soft touch and running a business don't bode well together, sorry. :(

Honestly? I'd never have agreed to renting to a friend as I think it can put a strain on the friendship. :)

I think you need to start as you mean to go on and set up some ground rules. If you just have a set rent, you both know exactly what's owed and the date it's due.

Make it clear that it's for an initial period of 3 or 6 months and then you can both review it to see if you're both happy with the arrangement. Use this as a get out clause if you need to.

Being a soft touch and running a business don't bode well together, sorry. :(
I know I really need to toughen up! I think I will say set rent and do 3 month trial . I wish I'd not agreed to it as it's stressful already x

I think def. go with a set rent. The lateness would be worrying me as I would be worried about them letting clients down and ruining your reputation. In my experience people that are continuously late don't/can't change and to lose a job over it means she must have been pretty bad. At least if she is self employed and responsible for earning her income she might improve but I'm the sort of person whose early for everything and that would stress me out no end! Set a trial period of 3 months and review after that.

I think def. go with a set rent. The lateness would be worrying me as I would be worried about them letting clients down and ruining your reputation. In my experience people that are continuously late don't/can't change and to lose a job over it means she must have been pretty bad. At least if she is self employed and responsible for earning her income she might improve but I'm the sort of person whose early for everything and that would stress me out no end! Set a trial period of 3 months and review after that.
Thankyou I am definitely thinking rent. She was self employed at the last salon. She's my best friend so I feel so bad saying this but I have worked hard to build up my business xx

If you want to help, go with a low introductory rent for a fixed time period. It make it fixed and from x date it will go up to x.
It's standard to pay considerably more if you're renting part time and one arrangement doesn't necessarily depend on another. You can be a kind and thoughtful salon owner but you don't have to be a walkover.

Good luck x

If you want to help, go with a low introductory rent for a fixed time period. It make it fixed and from x date it will go up to x.
It's standard to pay considerably more if you're renting part time and one arrangement doesn't necessarily depend on another. You can be a kind and thoughtful salon owner but you don't have to be a walkover.

Good luck x
Thankyou, do you think rent over commission? The hairdresser pays £90 a week . I'm just hoping that a lot of my clients will still stay with me xx

Can your shop handle 2 beauty therapist?
If she was sacked, there's a good chance she won't have had time to contact all of her clients. Even if she did they all won't follow her.

I think you are making trouble for yourself. But that's up to you.

Rent pw you know where you stand as a landlady, so you can plan what to do with the money.

% is hit and miss, if she is busy you get more, if she is slack you get very little.

We charge a day or pw rent.

Personally, that aside I'd be wary of offering a friend a place, you will have to treat her as a tenant, there could be times where she needs a talking to about a problem you have with her and it might not go down too well.
Sent out clear ground rules before she starts so everything is written down and she knows what is expected of her.
Be warned it could end in tears.

Last edited:
Can your shop handle 2 beauty therapist?
If she was sacked, there's a good chance she won't have had time to contact all of her clients. Even if she did they all won't follow her.

I think you are making trouble for yourself. But that's up to you.

Rent pw you know where you stand as a landlady, so you can plan what to do with the money.

% is hit and miss, if she is busy you get more, if she is slack you get very little.

We charge a day or pw rent.

Personally, that aside I'd be wary of offering a friend a place, you will have to treat her as a tenant, there could be times where she needs a talking to about a problem you have with her and it might not go down too well.
Sent out clear ground rules before she starts so everything is written down and she knows what is expected of her.
Be warned it could end in tears.
Thankyou I am already getting worried , I have told her it's £20 per day for three days and we will re assess it in two months. I am often fully booked but there are times when I'm abit quieter and I am
Just wanting to make sure I keep mi clients . I only do 4 days a week but some long days. Her boss/landlady has given her 4 weeks notice xx

I don't see why you would lose your clients, just let them know it's best to prebook to ensure they get the time they want and schedule them back in on days that you are working. Just give the new clients to her but if she is self employed, it is her responsibility to market herself and fill her slots not yours!

Thankyou everyone, I have gone for rent and two month trial . She can be responsible for her own clients etc cx

I'm wondering how it worked out as it's been over 5 months since you began this thread.

I'm wondering how it worked out as it's been over 5 months since you began this thread.
She didn't come in the end and we fell out and haven't spoken since :-( We weren't agreeing on rent etc

Latest posts

Back