Salon fines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnx

Reaction score
please can I get some advice. I run a small salon and one of my employees didn't follow procedure and the salon incurred a £200 fine. Can I deduct this from their wages? I'm not happy being out of pocket for their stupidity, they know how to do things but we're being lazy I believe, they also lied to me about the situation when we're caught.. it's not worth sacking over but I don't want to loose money for them.

I think you need to expand a little on what exactly happened, otherwise its hard to help without knowing more

I agree. Depends on the severity of it x

she opened up one day (as she does often) and set off the alarm, instead of turning it off she continued to let it ring out and pop to shop to get a coffee/breakfast. The whole row of shops were standing out front and police were called as it's so loud etc. The police ended up calling the landlord to come out and turn it off as I was away at the time and she wasn't around. She told me she didn't hear it, I looked on cctv and she clearly did, then when I said she clearly did she admitted she did. Very stupid situation but I ended up being fined for it from my landlords company for the call out to turn it off.

Yep pass on the fine thats pure ignorance and stupidity. Something like that can be avoided love thats not a human error. Take it out of her wages at an amount she can manage x

I'm not sure you can legally pass on the fine, even if you wanted to.

Have you trained her in what to do if the alarm is going off? Have you given her any written procedures? You can't just assume she will know how to act or do the same thing as you would.

If you haven't then maybe you need to tighten up on getting some written procedures in place, to cover all sorts of events.

Nope, you are legally liable for the actions of your employees and you cannot levy fines.

Any deductions from wages have to be legally allowable (limited circumstances) and fining staff would be classed as an illegal deduction of wages.

Use it as a training opportunity. As @hazelb says, is the opening up procedure fully documented? If not, it should be!

I don't think you can pass the fine on legally. Also would you want to run the risk of her quitting and then the hassle of finding someone else especially if generally they are a good employee. Maybe issue a warning as procedures weren't followed. Wonder Why didn't she get her coffee before she opened up!
I can see why your annoyed though, I would be too.

Latest posts

Back