Self employed rent a chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetsarah

Reaction score
ive been self employed since July 2016 at a salon.
I pay 25 pound a day and I work 4 days there, I've got a Facebook page which I update with offers, I went into work yesterday to be told we all need to be doing the same offers each month? I've got an offer on for Jan tzone 45 pounds which I put on Facebook for my clients in the salon, didn't think the can tell me what I can charge to my clients? As I'm self employed?and also they had been doing through the client book and asked why I charged a certain person 40 pounds I said she was a best mate and her reply was well your under cutting yourself! I just feel like giving the whole self employment up! Any advice please, thankyou.

ive been self employed since July 2016 at a salon.
I pay 25 pound a day and I work 4 days there, I've got a Facebook page which I update with offers, I went into work yesterday to be told we all need to be doing the same offers each month? I've got an offer on for Jan tzone 45 pounds which I put on Facebook for my clients in the salon, didn't think the can tell me what I can charge to my clients? As I'm self employed?and also they had been doing through the client book and asked why I charged a certain person 40 pounds I said she was a best mate and her reply was well your under cutting yourself! I just feel like giving the whole self employment up! Any advice please, thankyou.

I would definitely remind them you are self employed and only rent a chair in their space so your prices and treatments are your business not theirs, do you have a written contract? If not I would draft one up and make sure in there it states you a self employed business person are in charge of your own prices, offers, clients etc x

I would definitely remind them you are self employed and only rent a chair in their space so your prices and treatments are your business not theirs, do you have a written contract? If not I would draft one up and make sure in there it states you a self employed business person are in charge of your own prices, offers, clients etc x
No I haven't a contract x

I would ask to have a meeting with the boss, state that you want some guidelines/contract drawn up due to differences in opinions.
I rent chairs out to people and have a similar issue with one of them.
She pays a daily rate, has her own clientele and have no problems at all except . . . When people look at the salon (my) price list and then they book with her, it gets awkward when it comes to paying because she charges quite a bit more than I do but hasn't pre-warned them!!

Just stand your ground, if you're paying a daily rate, what you charge doesn't affect them in any way at all.x

Also do I need to keep a book with my clients numbers in just in case I leave as these are my clients and not the salons? I'm going to have a word with her about it all tomorrow. Also they are doing 25% off beauty this month, and I also do nails now do I go with their 25% off or just charge my price of 15 , it's getting really confusing for me! Any help would be appreciated x

You should be keeping all your client details secure and the salon owner should not be accessing them as that's a breach of the Data Protection Act. Both of you could get into trouble if anyone made a formal complaint.

As long as you pay your rent on time, the salon owner shouldn't be interfering in your business practices. You set your own prices but you do need to ensure that your clients are aware of the cost before commencing the service.
If you want to run the same offers as the Salon owner, that's your choice but you're not obliged to at all.

Also do I need to keep a book with my clients numbers in just in case I leave as these are my clients and not the salons? I'm going to have a word with her about it all tomorrow. Also they are doing 25% off beauty this month, and I also do nails now do I go with their 25% off or just charge my price of 15 , it's getting really confusing for me! Any help would be appreciated x

Yes keep a book with all client details in! May be worth getting client cards and stick with your own discount you are your own business not an employee xx

Update....... I have made the decision to leave the salon this Saturday told the owners on Monday, the one wasn't happy at all and said I wasn't allowed to leave! Then after thinking about I think she realised she couldn't stop me! Since then they have been very off with me. I have contacted my clients told them I am leaving. Today has been horrendous working with them just being bitchy the odd comments etc, will be glad to leave it hasn't put me off as. I know I'm good at what I do just wasn't working with them!

Update....... I have made the decision to leave the salon this Saturday told the owners on Monday, the one wasn't happy at all and said I wasn't allowed to leave! Then after thinking about I think she realised she couldn't stop me! Since then they have been very off with me. I have contacted my clients told them I am leaving. Today has been horrendous working with them just being bitchy the odd comments etc, will be glad to leave it hasn't put me off as. I know I'm good at what I do just wasn't working with them!

Good on you bitching is rife in salons..don't take it personally love! Many salon owners blur the lines between self employment / employment!

I rented a chair until last week as i found my own salon ( common knowledge i was looking for a over a year) ....anyway , my last week was horrendous she never said goodbye good luck nothing!!

Good luck love x

Good on you bitching is rife in salons..don't take it personally love! Many salon owners blur the lines between self employment / employment!

I rented a chair until last week as i found my own salon ( common knowledge i was looking for a over a year) ....anyway , my last week was horrendous she never said goodbye good luck nothing!!

Good luck love x
lol I've actually had a message telling me not to go in anymore only to collect my stuff, with a load of crap saying they didn't know I was struggling and they did their best to help, why didn't I go to them basically trying to turn it all on me! Wtf is wrong with people! Oh and she has contacted someone over Facebook asking if I've approached them about going mobile! Lol get a grip lol

lol I've actually had a message telling me not to go in anymore only to collect my stuff, with a load of crap saying they didn't know I was struggling and they did their best to help, why didn't I go to them basically trying to turn it all on me! Wtf is wrong with people! Oh and she has contacted someone over Facebook asking if I've approached them about going mobile! Lol get a grip lol

Well got my stuff from the salon they packed it, left my book with my clients names in, since found out they have been ringing them saying I've left and that they have a new stylist in would they still like the appointment! Can they do this? Also I was supposed to work until tomorrow they have charged me for the week for my rent a chair I've only worked yesterday as they told me not to come in anymore! Livid

Well got my stuff from the salon they packed it, left my book with my clients names in, since found out they have been ringing them saying I've left and that they have a new stylist in would they still like the appointment! Can they do this? Also I was supposed to work until tomorrow they have charged me for the week for my rent a chair I've only worked yesterday as they told me not to come in anymore! Livid

No they cannot do this babe it is breech of data protection law. So tell them that your clients have reported it and that you will be taking it further (even if you dont) .....how bloody dare they!

You could inform the salon owner that you will be reporting the theft of your client data to the data protection commissioner.

Contact your clients and rearrange their appointments yourself. Apologise for the unprofessional behaviour of the salon owner and the explain that she's upset because you wanted to leave. No need to tell them anything else.

I had something similar happen to me, has put me off ever working in a salon again, glad I finally left after a long hard 6 months of treading on egg shells and not earning a penny, she may as well have employed me! Have been Mobile for just over a year and I feel amazing for it, good luck to you on your next journey xx

Latest posts

Back