Self employed & training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
We work on 50% split and I'm looking at an in salon one day colour course at a cost per person. We work as a good team however it's a lot to fork out if they leave (which I suppose is the same for any staff). I'm thinking offer to pay 50/50 the same as I would profit or get something to say they repay if they leave within a certain time length ? What would you do ?

You say they're on a 50% split so are they self-employed? If so it's up to them to pay all their own training and marketing etc as it's their business.

I know it's their business and up to them for training etc. but we work as a good team and I think the better trained everyone is than the better the salon is on a whole and the better they are the more they take making my % higher. It's just wether to take the chance on outlay of they leave.

As they're self employed, there's not a lot you can do about recouping your costs if they choose to leave. You could draw up a contract but there's a risk it could be used by HMRC as evidence of you treating them as an employee.

If you're keen for them to do the training, then offering an incentive such as 50% of the fee seems pretty generous.

Yeah I was thinking 50/50 on the course costs then it benefits everyone.

Latest posts

Back