Self employed with houly rate pay-what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jho

Reaction score
Hi, I got offered a job as Self employed Beauty Therapist in a saloon and paid £8ph plus 10% commission on nail treatments only and will be doing roughly 35 to 40 hrs/month. Products and working place are provided by saloon owner. What form to fill in tax related wise and steps to do? I have other PAYE office job which I'm not yet ready to quit yet until my being beauty therapist get established and have more reliable income. This is my first beauty therapist job and I take this on to gain experience and reference and I'm happy with the time I do and the flexibly of being self employed but it's daunting to think of the paperworks that it involves especially doing the tax related issue which I haven't done before.... my husband said I need to register as self employed within three months but not much helps from him... any advice please of what to do or should I know? Thanks

If you're being paid an hourly rate by the salon owner then you are not self employed but employed and the owner is responsible for your PAYE and NI, holidays, sick pay etc. To be classed as self employed you must be your own separate business. You must take your own clients payments and usually pay either rent or a percentage to the owner. If they are providing products it's normally in the region of 60/40 to the salon.

This is something HMRC takes very seriously and I would suggest giving them a call and getting some advice before agreeing/signing anything with the salon owner.

I agree with Pure this is not self employment

Latest posts

Back