Self taught make up artist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lushbeauty

Reaction score
Ok so at the min I'm a beauty therapist. However in the Salon I work in I do nearly all the make ups, I do all the bridal work and really enjoy it. For Halloween I did all my friends make ups we all went as zombies, and really enjoyed doing something so creative and having on boundaries, I'm only 20 and know I'm still quiet young and still have allot to learn, I've always been mad to do make up artistry, but where I'm from in Ireland the nearest make up course is an hour and a half away, and it's a year long. I don't think having been working for the last 4years I'm in a position to stop work to take a year out for education. I just couldn't fund it the courses are around 7500 not including accommodation or traveling or living. I know there are part time courses but they still involve allot of travelling. I guess what I'm wondering is how many of you if any are self taught make up artists how did you learn? What would you recommend I do? My bfs cousin is a self taught make up artist,I've seen allot of her work but it seems plain and standard enough. I was thinking of asking her for a few lessons or would I be wasting my time if I think I'm almost as good as what she does? I suppose I will learn a few things from her and I don't want to come off to big headed her either. Also how do you advertise and how do you become successful. I had a bride last year and I've already gotten one of her friends booked in for her wedding and the trial went really well howeVer that's through the Salon I work for. Also my bfs cousin, before I used to work in this Salon, was constantly putting it down saying nobody in there could do make up and while I was in college was telling me that the training I would have gotten in college was rubbish and not worth a dame. I agree to a degree but I have learned allot myself and feel I have a natural talent here. Sorry to keep going on and hope you haVen't gotten bored half way through. Any help will be greatly appreciated friends, as I've said I'm only young and I don't know what to do here. Thanks in advance.

Lots of love, lush x

Sent from my GT-I9100

I'm not self taught, but ive been in the industry for 12 years doing commercial, editorial, weddings etc and i'm telling you this is a hard industry to crack and many fail having spent £££££ on courses and products as its a over saturated industry and many they think they are the second coming of alex box! lol

Being good at makeup is simply not enough......

I have a business and maketing degree which helps me move my business forward etc as im not just a makeup artist im a businesswoman too.

If your not willing to put in the time, travel or save the money to attend a proper makeup your not really that 'mad about makeup artisrty' are you.

I live, eat and breeth makeup i'm currently sat outside on holiday in Botswana (Africa) writing articals about makeup and dealing with my clients via email because i live it.

By attending a makeup course you meet like minded people, learn new application techniques, hygiene (very important).

I understand that these courses cant teach people to be creative as you have to have this already in you to be an artist as why else would we be call us makeup artists!, however It does gives clients more confidence in your skills and knowledge when booking you as you wouldnt go to a self taught dentist or doctor would you?

Last edited:
Hiya,

Thats great advice! I am too a beauty therapist at the moment and looking to add bridal makeup to my list of services that I offer. I have some experience already and have worked for makeup houses for a few years too so really need the next step of professionalism to offer my customers amamzing bridal makeup! I live in the south east-would anyone recommend any courses in particular/colleges??

Would SO appreciate any advice!!xxx

I trained in makeup, and although it was only a vtct and I have done other courses, the important thing to know which experience won't teach you is health and safety, hygiene, the structure of the skin, different skin types and how to treat them, contouring, face shapes, and contraindications.

In terms of developing your skill and technique, practise and what you're doing is great because that's how you'll improve. Challenge yourself with different skin colours and types. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back