Shellac and hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate Bruno

Reaction score
Hi there, been a member for a while but first post! I have searched through threads and really can't find an answer.

Basically I have my nails done every 2 weeks. I have acrylic infils with shellac over the top.

I am a mobile hairdresser, for some reason the shellac is chipping after 1 day. Every now and then I have a set done and it lasts perfectly until the next appointment, however this is rare. My nail tech says it's only me it happens to and it must be because I'm a hairdresser that it's happening. I always wear gloves when doing colours and rinsing, I'm going out of my mind wondering what it is I am doing wrong!! I don't know if it is something I am doing or if it's the actual shellac.

So basically I am wanting to see if any other hairdressers have this problem? Or if another nail tech could maybe shed some light on this??

Thank you

I don't do acrylic nails or use shellac. I use Gelish gel polish but I have a few hairdressers as clients and the Gelish on their natural nail usually lasts 2 weeks some get 3-4 with no chips! do you have your acrylics quite long? I don't use shellac as it never lasts on me past 3 days, that's why I decided to go with Gelish, so I'm not sure on shellac over acrylics, I'm sure someone else will be along to advise

have you a picture kate? :)

Yes will post one now, she uses shellac colour with gelish top coat I think. She keeps saying it must be me and the products I use, but I have no idea what it could be! Xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1489928973.155732.jpg

If she's using different brands that could be the problem! I don't mix brands never have done but I think it can cause some issues

I get 3 to 4 weeks out my shellac and I do hairdressing as wells with graphic design (lots of keyboard work and scrolling with a mouse) and mine lasts 3/4 weeks.

It must be because she mixes brands.

I have asked her about using different brands loads of times and she said that wouldn't make a difference and she uses it because it's more hard wearing. It's not even like they are really long! She used to file the free edge after it was all set to neaten things up but I asked her not to do it to see if that helped but it hasnt. Feeling better that it isn't me causing it! Xx

Mixing brands does make a different I've heard lots of stories about it. And filing the free edge after would break the top coats seal. does she cap the free edge with the colour and top coat..? it almost looks like you've got wearing rather than actual chips?

I think she does cap it but then files it off at the end. I had them done on Wednesday and the index one was like that on Thursday then the other started x

Yeah that isn't something you're doing I wouldn't of thought... It could be something she's doing after the acrylic application before applying gel, im not sure on this procedure for shellac. Does she have Gelish colours as well or just the top coat? Might be worth trying a different brand of gel perhaps ?

Hey Kate,

Mixing brands is never a good idea and can most certainly lead to service breakdown :)

looking at the way the gel has chipped it looks like it's almost bubbled off, which probably means there was an incorrect cure :) Does she have a CND lamp? This will be very important to getting a proper cure :)

Has this happened with different colours? You mentioned one lasted what colour was it ? Was it lighter ? Darker colours are harder to cure especially when not using the system correctly :)

I'm also wondering if all her products are genuine CND Shellac or whether she's bought any fake eBay versions? That would definitely account for the fact that sometimes it's ok and on other occasions, it chips fairly quickly.

It's also strange that she's filing the free edge after capping. All the filing should be done before the Shellac is applied.

I'd be inclined to go somewhere else and see if the same happens or whether it lasts longer.

I'm a hairdresser and my nail tech uses hard gel and ibd I think? And mine last up to four weeks. And I'm a bit naughty with aftercare, never wear gloves to rinse etc! So I think maybe try someone else who uses a full system? :)

I'm a nail tech and I use only shellac and I never have a problem I no for a fact you should not mix the products and the filing at the end will break the seal so they will also chip very quickly from that. If she is qualified she should know this.

Thanks for your help everyone! I have tried different brands from her, ibd, gelish and candy coat and all have done the same thing. It's awkward because I've known her for years and went to school with her. She charges full price which is fine but I expect them to last. I don't know which brand she actually did her training with to be honest, it's a standard white uv lamp she uses. I think I'm going to have to try someone else to compare how they last! I've been going out of my mind wondering what I have done wrong! Xx

Give someone else a go :) and see how it goes! Then you'll know for sure :)

Thanks for your help everyone! I have tried different brands from her, ibd, gelish and candy coat and all have done the same thing. It's awkward because I've known her for years and went to school with her. She charges full price which is fine but I expect them to last. I don't know which brand she actually did her training with to be honest, it's a standard white uv lamp she uses. I think I'm going to have to try someone else to compare how they last! I've been going out of my mind wondering what I have done wrong! Xx

a generic uv lamp will not cure Shellac correctly :)

I would spend your money with a tech that uses the correct products and protocols [emoji5]️

Hi I know I'm a bit late to this discussion but I have acrylics with gelish on top every 2-3 weeks. My nails never chip and I don't always wear gloves when rinsing colours. I also work in retail alongside hairdressing so they are open to till work and moving heavy boxes etc I am really impressed with how long they last. I struggle to get even a week out of gelish over my natural nails so for me 2-3 out of acrylic and gel is awesome! As everyone else said I'd try somewhere else and see how it goes. Did you manage to find anywhere?
Xx

I took them off for a while and let my nails breath. I felt awkward because it was a friend but In the end I just said I'm not happy because the nails were inconsistent. She offered to do me a new set and has changed brands to Jessica geleration, been on now for nearly 2 weeks and perfect! Hopefully it was just the brand and they will continue to be good sets! Xx

Latest posts

Back