Shellac, Gelish, Gel FX etc?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Girls,
I currently use Shellac and have recently purchased the smoothing gel to use with my Shellac manicure and pedicures.
In most cases clients nails last well, (longer than the 14 day rule) and most are happy with the results.
But in some cases, (there's always some) they don't last, I know a lot will be to do with how heavy clients are on their nails and lifestyles ect. But when you have clients returning every two weeks you want them to at least last when they are spending the money and are loyal.
Its more of an issue on my part than theirs.
So that said, out of all of the gel polishes out there which would you say is the best, lasts the longest, kind on the nail and easy to remove???? And also is anyone else finding Shellac does not suit all??
Looking forward to hear your responses :biggrin:
Emma

I use Shellac, Gelish and Artistic Colour Gloss (I'm addicted to having every single colour out there lol), and I find with the "problem" clients, nothing works better than the other. It can be very frustrating when you have clients who can go 4 weeks without a chips and others who can't go 10 days, but you can only try to educate them to wear gloves, use solar oil etc., but if they won't listen there's not much you can do. I don't think it's the product that is the issue here but the clients who are very heavy handed and don't follow our guidelines on how to care for their manicures. Perhaps for these clients you might be better to suggest gel or l&p. hth.

Thank you you are so right, think you've completly summed it up there. Thank you for you help x

I think you will find the same results with all UV colour coats no matter what the brand. For goodness sakes you get the same results with Acrylic, hard gel, soft gel. wraps. there is no one thing that suits all. I'm not sure why anyone expects that they would considering the variety of clients and how they treat and respect our work (or don't) and the different things they do with their hands.

You cant solve every problem for every client .. only they can.

Just jumping on this a minute..

I have 2 clients in particular that I have only seen once, maybe twice, in the 8 months or so that I have been doing their nails come back with no chips.

I have gone over aftercare with them so many times and they tell me that they are doing it. I can only go on this, one of them definitely buys solar oils regularly, the other not so much, they both claim they wear gloves all the time.

When they come in with chips it is so disheartening. I have plenty of clients that get to the 3 weeks mark with no problem.

What would you say to these clients? They both have really poor nails, seriously flaky, strength has improved with Shellac but still flaky. I don't want either of them to think I just want to take their money regardless. They seem to want to carry on but I get so frustrated each time they come in with a chip or missing nail.

Argh.

It really is disheartening :( it really would be lovely if everyone's nails lasted as well as the last but as said everyone is so different. It's just a shame because you don't want to loose clients over it but at the same time we can't work miracles! And if they don't follow our advice as most don't, really what can we do???
Thank you everyone, this has really helped :)

Just jumping on this a minute..

I have 2 clients in particular that I have only seen once, maybe twice, in the 8 months or so that I have been doing their nails come back with no chips.

I have gone over aftercare with them so many times and they tell me that they are doing it. I can only go on this, one of them definitely buys solar oils regularly, the other not so much, they both claim they wear gloves all the time.

When they come in with chips it is so disheartening. I have plenty of clients that get to the 3 weeks mark with no problem.

What would you say to these clients? They both have really poor nails, seriously flaky, strength has improved with Shellac but still flaky. I don't want either of them to think I just want to take their money regardless. They seem to want to carry on but I get so frustrated each time they come in with a chip or missing nail.

Argh.

Brisa Lite Smoothing gel is just the job for the nails that are in the condition you describe.

Remove gently, anything that you can see flaking first. Then use your Brisa Lite base coat and cure. Then Apply a thin coat of the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel and cure. Do not remove the inhibition layer.
Finally apply your Shellac colour as normal finishing off with Shellac Top Coat.

Brisa Lite Smoothing gel is just the job for the nails that are in the condition you describe.

Remove gently, anything that you can see flaking first. Then use your Brisa Lite base coat and cure. Then Apply a thin coat of the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel and cure. Do not remove the inhibition layer.
Finally apply your Shellac colour as normal finishing off with Shellac Top Coat.

I've tried this Geeg and it still doesnt seem to made a huge amount of difference.

I am going on the Brisa Light course this afternoon actually so hopefully I will find out if I have been applying it correctly.

I just don't know what to say to them anymore!

Latest posts

Back