Shellac - how do you say it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Shellac?

• Sh-lack

Votes: 90 25.9%
  • Shell-ack

Votes: 258 74.1%

• Total voters
I loved watching that video with is it a man called David Barton?....i loved the video as it did not look contrived and very natural...

I pronounce it sh lack,....i did not know that the word is old fashioned as someone pointed out to me and said....so you paint with furniture polish:eek:...the mind boggles lol

Phonetically you should pronounce it shu-lac.... we can have pronunciation lessons on stand 105 at the show!:hug:

Stand 105 you say Sam? I'll try and pop over and say hi for my lessons.

Mat x

Phonetically you should pronounce it shu-lac.... we can have pronunciation lessons on stand 105 at the show!:hug:
yeah, I didin't even think to type phonetically. Yup, I guess my 'e' does sound kinda like a 'u'.

COOL I'm doing it right!
YAAY lol

(small things amuse small minds LMFAO)

I pronounced it as Sh-lack as the first time I ever heard of it was through watching the video... had to ask my educator how to pronounce Gelez though wasnt sure on that one at all :D

I say shell-ac because the first bit says 'shell' but now think I might be trying to say sh-lac... why do they never make brands easy to say? lol

I'm an Aussie (don't know if that makes a difference), but all my clients and I pronounce like the first way the man says it! Shellac with a short "e" sound.

I pronounced it shell-ack until I read this post!! Now I'm wispering it to myself to practice...As Mrs Geek put....shu-lac.
Why does it feel so peculiar to correct yourself?!! :suprised:

I say Shell-ack and I've always said CACI Cack-ee too! :lol: i think it's mainly Americans who say Sh-lack but I may be wrong!​

So I had the incident of upsetting CACI by calling it Cak-ee rather then Kay-See, but what about Shellac?
LMAO :lol:. So pleased I'm not the only one who originally tried to pronounce it Cak-ee. I also tried cak-eye :o, but hey, I guess my excuse is that I am from deepest darkest Africa :green:.

I have always pronounced Shellac as Shell + ack with the 'll' part passing over my tongue quickly as in 'Tom Selleck'.

I've been saying shell-ac but after this thread I prefer sh-lac so will start saying that. Luckily i've only being saying it a week so it shouldn't be difficult!

The emphasis is definitely on the LAC .......... Sheh -LAC! And that is also how CND want you to say it too!

In Poland many people pronounce it "She-lack" (accenting the first syllable). Drives me nuts :smack: LOL

In Poland many people pronounce it "She-lack" (accenting the first syllable). Drives me nuts :smack: LOL

Same with me when I hear Americans say the country, Iraque and they pronounce it EYE - rack instead of how it should be pronounced where the I sounds like the I in the word 'it' and then the rack!

Same with me when I hear Americans say the country, Iraque and they pronounce it EYE - rack instead of how it should be pronounced where the I sounds like the I in the word 'it' and then the rack!

Well, I'm so glad our President doesn't pronounce it that way every week anymore LOL

And remember Vietnam, pronounced as in SPAM :lol:

Latest posts

Back