Shellac lasting for 1 day!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachelb96

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm a qualified beautician and I love doing shellac nails, I do all my clients nails and they last for about 2/3 weeks! However when I do my mother in Laws nails they last for a day! I've tried everything, I've put gel underneath, I've put two top coats on, even filing the nail bed!
I just don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, it's so frustrating that I spend ages on her nails and they just come off the next day!

Thank you,
Rachel xx

Have you tried dehydrating the nail beforehand

This has happened to me once before on one particular client. It just didn't suit her nails, I tried everything too! If you know you are meticulous on your prep & their still not lasting sometimes we need to remember shellac is great BUT ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE! If their own nails are quite dry or oily or really weak they aren't going to last well, but never the less should last for more than one day! It's obviously just not suitable for her nails. The only other thing you could try as a last resort is nail fresh. I have done this before & it has helped.

a few questions for you [emoji3]

What is the condition of her nails?

What is her occupation?

Do you charge her full price?

Watching for the answers to those telling questions! Esp the last one!

a few questions for you [emoji3]

What is the condition of her nails?

What is her occupation?

Do you charge her full price?

Honestly her nails look and feel normal, she works at a infant school x

This has happened to me once before on one particular client. It just didn't suit her nails, I tried everything too! If you know you are meticulous on your prep & their still not lasting sometimes we need to remember shellac is great BUT ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE! If their own nails are quite dry or oily or really weak they aren't going to last well, but never the less should last for more than one day! It's obviously just not suitable for her nails. The only other thing you could try as a last resort is nail fresh. I have done this before & it has helped.

I've been googling before and people have said shellac isn't for everyone, it's so weird that normal nail varnish lasts a little bit longer than shellac. I'll give that nail fresh stuff a go, thank you

So does she wash her hands a lot/ use sanitising gel ?

Are her nails weak, peeling, previously thinning out from nail enhancements or incorrect shellac removal ? Do her nails look very white after dehydrating them ?

So does she wash her hands a lot/ use sanitising gel ?

Are her nails weak, peeling, previously thinning out from nail enhancements or incorrect shellac removal ? Do her nails look very white after dehydrating them ?

I'm not sure, I imagine so. I don't even get a chance to remove them properly because they just ping off or they start coming peeling off by the cuticle. They look normal when I dehydrate them

Is she soaking them before you see her? Or swimming just before? I had a lady who finally confessed to soaking her nails just before coming to me because she thought it would soften her cuticles, we had awful trouble till I discovered that. Her nails were still holding moisture so the shellac never adhered properly.

Is she soaking them before you see her? Or swimming just before? I had a lady who finally confessed to soaking her nails just before coming to me because she thought it would soften her cuticles, we had awful trouble till I discovered that. Her nails were still holding moisture so the shellac never adhered properly.

No she doesn't, it's just so weird because if I do my mums nails they last for a good 2 and a half weeks and I do everything the same. It is probably down to her nails! Thank you for replying, I didn't realise what clients do before you see them can make a difference for when you put shellac on x

Do you use Cuticle Away to ensure all the cuticle is removed before applying the Shellac? Hidden cuticle can be a problem, I had a client who struggled to keep her Shellac on and although it appeared as though I had removed the cuticle when I used Cuticle Away, there was a fair bit left on the nail plate.

What kind of moisturiser/hand cream/face cream does she use? I had a client who always managed to lose the Shellac from the middle finger on her right hand (none of the others - just that one!) It turned out that that is the finger she used to apply her face cream at night and that was causing the lifting. I have another client who never had a problem until she started using Bio Oil on a scar, Shellac doesn't seem to like Bio Oil. Is she using a cuticle oil other than Solar Oil. If so and it doesn't absorb quickly it will sit on the nail plate and cause lifting very quickly.

Do you use Cuticle Away to ensure all the cuticle is removed before applying the Shellac? Hidden cuticle can be a problem, I had a client who struggled to keep her Shellac on and although it appeared as though I had removed the cuticle when I used Cuticle Away, there was a fair bit left on the nail plate.

What kind of moisturiser/hand cream/face cream does she use? I had a client who always managed to lose the Shellac from the middle finger on her right hand (none of the others - just that one!) It turned out that that is the finger she used to apply her face cream at night and that was causing the lifting. I have another client who never had a problem until she started using Bio Oil on a scar, Shellac doesn't seem to like Bio Oil. Is she using a cuticle oil other than Solar Oil. If so and it doesn't absorb quickly it will sit on the nail plate and cause lifting very quickly.

Yes I use cuticle away, next time I do them I'll make sure I go over them a few more times to see if that's causing it. Oh I'm not sure I'm going to see her later so I'll ask her then, thank you so much :)

This happens on my sisters i got so mad lol so last time i did the same prep on my foundation coat I took a brush and really brushed it in and cured agin that workes its been on 6 days

was interested to read the above about using bio oil, when doing Shellac course the tutor recommended bio oil and thats what i have been recommending to my clients.

Try her with Gelish! I had a client that had this problem with Shellac...Gelish now lasts 3 weeks on her xx

Are all 10 nails peeling off before you seem them ?

Ok so I have a couple clients that no matter what I do its only lasting 5 days. They do have their hands in gloves alot thru the day. Will soaking off in acetone hurt them? I have some that their nails stay good no matter what. Very frustrating

Latest posts

Back