Shellac, OPI Gelcolour, Gelish or what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have just been trained in gellux and find it very good! I think you should definitly consider it! :) xx

I forgot about Gelux! Will do some more reading :)

Hi Geeks
Well nobody has mentioned this so far so here goes....
GELLUX very easy apply, you apply thin and build up usually only two coats of colour needed. The clear base is also a top coat, so dual purpose less cost. Prep and wipe is great never clouds the nail, again dual purpose.

Staying power is brilliant easily 3 weeks. Cost £11.95 plus vat so affordable. Also means you don't have to charge your clients a fortune too.:D

Sounds very attractive cost wise. I must do more reading but I am a bit worried that it may not be as popular amongst customers as shellac or Gelish where brand awareness is very strong.

I use gelish and love the results! But....

By finally gave in to the demand to shellac! There is a massive client following out there and tbh I have been mad not to get it in sooner! When clients are asking for a product by name and the cost of this product is crazily affordable to any nail technician you could deffinatly be mad to not stock it! Even if it's just a few colours a company that puts so much effort into marketing a product to the world for you surely were missing out! Not many clients know names of nail products except for minx, shellac, bio gel and opi?

Emily :)

Gelish all the way, it has transformed my business - easy to apply and stays on forever!

xx

After reading everyone's replies and many posts here I am in a real dilemma between Gelish and shellac.

I like the 'no buff' approach of Shellac but again Gelish appear to go better with even the most demanding or challenging nails and has got plenty of colours to chose from. But again shellac is full of layering possibilities. And as mentioned before the brand awareness is strong and shellac is synonymous with beautiful and long lasting nails. Right headache :)

I use gelish and shellac. In my experience, Gelish is suited more to those clients who have weak nails or who are not committed to aftercare and who are generally hard on their nails.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hi Sunshineinme!
I was in your position!! I didnt know what brand to go with!
However as it stands I am going with Gelish, its thicker than shellac and apparently stronger for weak nails which is a must in my eyes!!
Theres also many colours!
I am going to the beauty show in March and hoping my mind doesnt change!! It was a very close draw between Shellac, Gelish & the new OPI Gel Colour!!
I think im defnitely going to do Gelish first then think about Shellac :D x

Hi Sunshineinme!
I was in your position!! I didnt know what brand to go with!
However as it stands I am going with Gelish, its thicker than shellac and apparently stronger for weak nails which is a must in my eyes!!
Theres also many colours!
I am going to the beauty show in March and hoping my mind doesnt change!! It was a very close draw between Shellac, Gelish & the new OPI Gel Colour!!
I think im defnitely going to do Gelish first then think about Shellac :D x

I looked at the set up costs of Shellac and Gelish and Gelish appears to be more expensive to start with...

And it's worrying me a bit as my business isn't bringing a steady income so I must count my pennies very carefully.

But like you said it is better for trouble nails and the choice of colours is amazing!!!

Is it possible layer Gelish to create colours like with shellac?

Hiya!!
Yes I realised this also which did sway me for a while and caused me to look elsewhere however I have chose Gelish as I can encourage acrylic users to go natural!!
I used to wear acrylics and did for 6 years! When I took them off my nails were disgusting!! They broke half way down and were really sore! I wish I had something like Gelish to use!!
I think this will be a great selling point!
I will be opting for the UV lamp as this is cheaper, I will also probably buy 5 colours until it kicks off then get more!! However I am waiting for the beauty show to hopefully get this all cheaper!!
Ive worked out it could come to about £400 which also includes VAT & Training!! If you charge £25 a client you only have to do 15 clients to make your money back!! I also have a small client base but I will advertise to the max once ive learnt Gelish!!
I know ive given a lot of information but I hope it helps :) x

I use both Shellac and Gelish. I also mix the two with no problems.

If you don't have a lamp yet I would consider a LED lamp. It will cure Gelish, Young Nails and the new OPI coming out. And it cures in 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes with UV lamps. LED won't however cure Shellac.

Hi Ladies,

I too offer shellac at the moment, but i love the gelish range of colours. I have the cnd uv lamp, can i use this to cure gelish? I cant afford to buy an led light?
Thanks. xxx

Hi Ladies,

I too offer shellac at the moment, but i love the gelish range of colours. I have the cnd uv lamp, can i use this to cure gelish? I cant afford to buy an led light?
Thanks. xxx

Yes you can x

After reading a thread on here I bought the Fraulein lamp direct from Germany as it is the lamp that Harmony Gelish sell on their site but is half the price (£44 inc delivery). Harmony just put a sticker over the Fraulein logo. Had to put a UK adaptor on as comes with European plug but these are only a few pounds in tesco. Great lamp with sensor, timer and grooves for each finger and thumb.

Hello Lelu!
Is that the UV lamp or LED?
As the UV lamp is only £44.99 over here x

The "Intermediate 36 Watt Lamp" which is £119 inc VAT.

As much as I love the Gelish idea and it's colours & strength I will start from Shellac.

Shellac setting up costs are more affordable for me and I hope it will earn me enough to allow me to go into Gelish later on!

Additionally i think it's great that S2 is doing the shellac nail art course! I'll be there :)

I started doing market research on Shellac in my area and 1 salon charges £35 per set- which i think is the right price for the area if you have a lovely salon but another person- with a home salon is charging £18!!! I am gutted!

My manicure prices start from £25 and I wouldn't consider offering Shellac on it's own for any less than £30!

Am I in wrong or the world is going mad :(?

I trained with Bio Sculpture & I also do Gelish but I wish I had gone with Shellac as it is soooo well know.
Every client that has come in has asked by name for Bio Sculpture or Shellac (& haven't heard of Gelish).

Shellac sells itself.

I think Shellac by CND has been very well advertised as a very professional product.

If I could do it again I would do Bio Sculpture & Shellac.

I do bio sculpture and shellac.. I highly reccomend shellac its fab and my post popular treatment :).. I used gelish for a while and didnt get on with it at all!!

Latest posts

Back