shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indium

Reaction score
i find that naiil polish peels off my nails within the hour, well my fingers anyway, toes it'll stay for weeks, so i'm intrested in shellac. but i have 1 question

whats so special about the lamp? technical specs please and why does that make a difference to the curing? i spent 12 years studying chemistry and i want understand the chemistry of it and how something that subtle can make the difference!

I can't get technical, I'm afraid.
Chemistry and what not being my weak point.

What I can tell you is this:
Shellac is a UV Gel-polish hybrid.
So I imagine it works much the same way as UV Gel as such that it reacts to the UV light due to photo-initiators found within it.

It should NOT be confused with "nail polish' or 'lacquer'. It's DIFFERENT.

I hope that this helps a little and I'm sure one of our CND Educators or reps on the site will be along to explain this better than I can, soon. :D

PS: oops , forgot to answer about the LAMP lol
The Lamp is a "UV Light". Quite different from your coffee-table lamp.
It emits Uv light, much like a tanning bed but LESS.

i find that naiil polish peels off my nails within the hour, well my fingers anyway, toes it'll stay for weeks, so i'm intrested in shellac. but i have 1 question

whats so special about the lamp? technical specs please and why does that make a difference to the curing? i spent 12 years studying chemistry and i want understand the chemistry of it and how something that subtle can make the difference!
What is it you want to know? It's hard to answer with out knowing what you do and don't already know about shellac , it's such a wide open question,
Do you want to know how the light cures the shellac?
Or why cnd recomend that exact light unit or the cnd brisa lamp for use with shellac?

ok well i'm guessing the special UV light uses a different wavelength UV light from your common or garden UV light that you get on ebay for £5. but it can't be too different a frequency or you'll be getting into either tanning lights or visible light.
However i find it hard to see how that a photo initiated polymerization reaction, which is what is going in in UV gels, can be specific enough to only respond to what can only be, what 50nm? maybe, difference in wavelength.

what is the wavelength of the special light? and of an ordinatry UV light? what are the chemical reactions involved?

Ooft. Way over my head.

I couldn't tell you any of the science behind it, but there has been a couple of posts about this. A couple of people tried to cure Shellac with the UV lamp they already had, not a CND lamp, and it didn't work.

The Shellac and Brisa lamps emit UV light at a certain output which is what is needed to cure Shellac (and Brisa for that matter). The wattage of the lamp only tells you the wattage needed to run it, the UV output is the crucial measure.

The thing with gel based products is that you can't always tell by eye whether your product is cured or not and that can store problems up for the future.

Tbh, if you have such technical questions you are better off contacting CND in the US for the answers.

Hth's

It isn't only the bulbs, it's the amount of UV output, the bulb placement, even the shape of the lamp... it all goes hand in hand with achieving a perfect cure for the products it's designed for.

You don't say in your profile whether you're a professional or a consumer indium?!?

lol sorry, i'm just a consumer with nails that are really bad and need help. i also happen to be interested in the science as well though.

lol sorry, i'm just a consumer with nails that are really bad and need help. i also happen to be interested in the science as well though.
Whereabouts in the UK are you?
We might be able to recommend a Shellac technician who is local to you :green:

oooooppppppsssss was just about to buy a uv lamp from ebay,,, just saved me the bother. I thought uv lamps were all the same.

Don't forget that the Shellac lamp ALSO has an extractor fan facility as it is a HYBRID & thus it also has some solvent evaporation issues that a normal UV lamp wont solve :D

If you cure it with a normal UV lamp they may look great at first but you'll prob find problems before their 14 days are up or with removal xxx

If you cure it with a normal UV lamp they may look great at first but you'll prob find problems before their 14 days are up or with removal xxx

yes i know . the question is why! sorry i'm just too much of a scientist at heart!

Wat is so special about the CND Lamp....
OK I will make it easy....
Imagine you want to bake a cake! Cake is your business and you are after all a fab baker!

The instructions for successfully baking your cake states that you need to bake this cake at 210 degrees for 45 minutes..... OK easy you have an oven that does have a 200 degree and 220 degree setting. Now, if you set you oven to 200 degrees after 45 minutes it will look bakes but it is still not quiet perfect, it will be slightly under done, if you bake it at 220 degrees for 45 minutes it will again look baked but it will be to dry. To the naked eye the cake at either setting will look OK but it wont be perfect. Customers are coming to you and admire the cake, but then they will comment that it wasn't what they thought it would be. They are disappointed and will go and find a baker that can deliver a perfectly baked cake.......
The same with Shellac, it needs the perfect UV output, not wattage (imagine that thats only like the colour of your oven), to be absolutely perfect, not under cured, not over cured, but absolutely perfectly cured.
As Cakes are your living,baking is your daily bread so to speak and you can earn loads of money doing this job. Well you get smart and buy the oven that gives you the perfect temperature time after time..... Bingo happy customers and a healthy and happy till xxxx
Simplezzzzzz !!!!! Saving a few pounds doesn't make good Business sense if you see it like this!!!!!

Hope this explains it a bit more, OK its not the most perfect way to explain it, but I hope you all get what I am trying to say....

oh i get what you saying about why you WANT to use the right lamp, that makes sense and why creative would make it that way makes sense. i just want to know how it works that way! but you're right i need to find the technical specs somewhere and i expect the chemistry of it is a commercial secret anyway.

Shellac is patent pending, so yes I don't think you will get a detailed ingredients list......
All we can say is that, the components in Shellac need a certain UV output and CND lamps have that exact output..... Maybe getting in touch with Dough Schoon would be a good idea....... he has more knowledge in this then I have, thats for sure xx
[email protected]

I hope this helps xxxx

Latest posts

Back