Pricing for family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I need help on whether to charge my family for all waxing, tinting etc and how much or just do it for free?
I'm not sure if I should do a family rate or standard pricing for everyone I I do charge. Thanks in advance :))

You need to charge them something as ur us your products and time being used- for close family ie my mum she just gets charged to cover cost of product- my aunty, cousins etc are all full price - you could maybe offer 20% discount for family but don't feel you have to!

Xx

Are you working from home or in a salon?

As a student, I treat my family at home for practice and it helps to keep up my skills. I charge them family rates that cover the cost of equipment, insurence etc, but not for my time. My prices are very similar to college salon prices.

If you are working from a salon then I would more than likely charge normal salon prices with maybe a 10% discount.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I always do my mother for free and for friends and family I give them 20% off!! at the end of the day I feel this is my job and I'm sure they wouldn't want to work for free and neither do I lol!! Start as you mean to go on x

I guess a lot will depend on your relationships :) I'd never dream of charging my mum - but certainly would my siblings as I'm not very close with them. (step and half...)
I'd also weigh up how much I'd charge those of my friends who don't charge me for helping me out... :) I might charge them materials (they'd understand) but not for my time :)
So much I think depends on what your relationships are like - I have some great friends - they'd never abuse the offer and I know they will all pass on my cards, and more importantly they are the people who will help me when I'm up a certain creek :) A good Terry Pratchett example is about witches... they get "paid" in food - but food goes off long before they can eat it, so they store it... in other people :) I store my time in other people, when I need it back they will be there :)

Short answer - I think it's completely down to you - there is no right or wrong answer, only you know your family and friends and if they would recommend you or abuse your offer...

i do my mum for free and thats it otherwise its endless!! when i do friends and family though they do normally get a longer treatment or the odd eyebrow wax or toes painted for nothing xx

Mum and hubbys mum free! Best mate half price. Friends I knock a cpl of pounds off.

I dont charge my mam at all, I charge my sisters for the products used and close family & friends get a few euros knocked off - not a lot but still enough to make them feel like they're getting "mates rates"

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

Hi ladies? I'm sure this is a common question on here. But, I'm not sure whether my family should pay (and have family rates- or the same price aw everyone) or not pay for any service they come to me for?
What does everyone else think or do? And how much roughly for each thing (manis, pedis, waxing, acrylics, infills etcetc)
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment I'm not busy enough to be able to afford freebies and my friends and family know and respect that but instead I do little extras for them. I noticed my best friends eyebrows needed tinting so I put a little bit of tint on her etc but she pays me full price for her nails etc,

Even my mum pays me as she doesn't want to see me going without pay x

Any help with how to go from freebie to discounted rate??

I currently do some freebies such as mum ( always guinea pig) treatment swaps for lashes & hair but how about those ppl that were previously free (family/friends) when you were trying things out/practising but now expect it free?? Would love some ideas on how to introduce a VIP price list to them as don't want to offend.

It's up to you. Do you want to charge your family?

My only freebie is my mom. HTH! :)

It's different for everyone and really your own personal decision.

It depends if you think they deserve free treatments or discounts. I'd be careful. Start as you mean to go on.

If your mum is just fab and has brought you up in a loving home, feeding and clothing you, then it would seem a bit mean to charge her.

If your sister is a lazy selfish layabout who has never lifted a finger for you, then I would charge her full price! :D

Just remember that when people get treatments for free (such as nails) they don't usually tend to look after them as well as they would if they'd paid full price so you might get them taking the Mick wanting you to do repairs at the drop of a hat for free.

I currently do some freebies such as mum ( always guinea pig) treatment swaps for lashes & hair but how about those ppl that were previously free (family/friends) when you were trying things out/practising but now expect it free?? Would love some ideas on how to introduce a VIP price list to them as don't want to offend.

Text them!! Always the best way to avoid conflict- send something like- just want to thank you all for helping me gain my experience during my training period. Please note prices now go back to full price but You will now remain onu vip list meaning i can offer you 20% discount

HTH xx

Brill idea, thx hon xx

My Mum or Grandma won't let me do free treatments-they do ge a discount and I tend to give them little freebies- ie nail varnish/cuticle oil and do free soak offs/repairs if needed.

I also have two discount rates, my best friend and mum n gran-Best discount
The rest of my family/friends a seperate discount.

Xx

I wish I had the link from my friends pic.
At the bottom.of her price list, it says something like ...
"For friends, best friends, cousins, or immediate family, for pricing, please refer to the top of the list."
Lol.
Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Wow, thanks so much ladies!!
Im thinking along the lines of doing my mum for free (seeing as she does help out money wise with a lot of things and is just the best mum in general) and my other family at a discounted price. Like wholesaling products I guess?!?
Ps. I'm a home salon- just starting out :)

As a qualified BT and still going for extra training in other therapies I make sure to be clear with family that they could receive free treatments for my practice whilst in training then once qualified they get an updated price list (not commercial yet) which is at family rates (similar to local college salons/covers costs only, not time). They understand that treatments for training purposes is for my benefit and professional treatments are for their benefit.

I just ask for a donation from friends and family. They tell me to stop been silly and get a price list and pay full or almost full price xx

Latest posts

Back