Should you turn nail polish upside down?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca Rebecca

Reaction score
Hi

I know this is a real basic question but, when u roll your nail varnish bottle, should I be turning it upside down too?

Sure. Turning upside down will make the bearings roll through the polish to provide better agitation without the bubbling

Sure. Turning upside down will make the bearings roll through the polish to provide better agitation without the bubbling

Ah great thanku! X

Prior to performing the manicure, client will choose her/his polish. I give it a good shake. Yes, I shake the crap out of it, roll it upside down, right side up and check to see that those balls are moving freely! I will then perform my manicure and let the bubbles settle. I've never had a problem on myself or clients with bubbles or even tiny one's. I have checked this theory under a magnifier and I just don't feel that the polish get's mixed enough by rolling.
When you buy a can of paint for painting your walls, it will get put in an industrial agitator before you take it home. When it has been sitting for a while, you can still take it back to the store and they will mix it for free... for a reason. If it sits too long, it will settle and does need it. Nail polish is similar. Some have very fine pigments that settle on the bottom and won't mix completely with just rolling.

Without hijacking the post and trying to stay on topic, I have a couple of other questions:
1. I've had several clients that store their nail polish in the refrigerator. Does this prolong the life?
2. Does storing polish upside down also prolong the life?
3. Can any (professional) brand name thinner be used in most polishes? I have noticed that the odor is different so there is definitely different formulas and solvents.
4. Is there a thinner for Shellac and Gel Polish? (I've heard there is but haven't found it)

Great thanku. I don't think u
Prior to performing the manicure, client will choose her/his polish. I give it a good shake. Yes, I shake the crap out of it, roll it upside down, right side up and check to see that those balls are moving freely! I will then perform my manicure and let the bubbles settle. I've never had a problem on myself or clients with bubbles or even tiny one's. I have checked this theory under a magnifier and I just don't feel that the polish get's mixed enough by rolling.
When you buy a can of paint for painting your walls, it will get put in an industrial agitator before you take it home. When it has been sitting for a while, you can still take it back to the store and they will mix it for free... for a reason. If it sits too long, it will settle and does need it. Nail polish is similar. Some have very fine pigments that settle on the bottom and won't mix completely with just rolling.

Without hijacking the post and trying to stay on topic, I have a couple of other questions:
1. I've had several clients that store their nail polish in the refrigerator. Does this prolong the life?
3. Can any (professional) brand name thinner be used in most polishes? I have noticed that the odor is different so there is definitely different formulas and solvents.
4. Is there a thinner for Shellac and Gel Polish? (I've heard there is but haven't found it)
Great thanku. I don't think they're supposed to go upside down. No worries re hijacking it's all of interest to me! X

CND polishes can be sufficiently blended with rolling as the formula is thixotropic.
Storing in a fridge won't really add any noticeable life to a top pro polish. It will help with cheap ones that use more volition and cheaper solvents

Same answer to storing them upside down

Shellac should never be thinned as the formula will never work correctly afterwards. The blend of solvents needs to be perfect to ensure full and safe cure. Hopefully other brands would apply the same logic ...

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back