Skin growing under free edge of nail????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieLaraia

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I had a client ask me why the skin under the nail grows up onto the free edge of the nail when wearing L&P?? I have seen this on a few people (not all my clients). I didn't have an answer for her, but hopeing you more experienced Techs can help!!

I hope this makes sense??

Hi Geeks,

I had a client ask me why the skin under the nail grows up onto the free edge of the nail when wearing L&P?? I have seen this on a few people (not all my clients). I didn't have an answer for her, but hoping you more experienced Techs can help!!

I hope this makes sense??
yes, it is Hyponichium the thin line of skin at the distal end of the finger under the free edge. Everyone has hyponichium, it is part of the guardian system to keep out harmful bacteria, however if the nail enhancement is worn too long the hyponichium may grow out further than normal to help balance the nail plate length preventing injury. In most cases it is not harmful, but can be very tender especially if the client tries to push it back or trim it off. Regular manicures, an at home maintenance routine that involves using oil regularly and shortening the length of the enhancement usually correct this growth. Hyponichium is more pronounced in some clients and others you will not ever really notice it. HTH

depends on how far up the free edge the skin is, it could be as Jeni has said or it could be pterygium, which is an abnormal adherence of the normal skin to the nail plate.

taken from Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon.

There are two types of nail pterygium: inverse pterygium and dorsel pterygium.

The inverse type of pterygium is shown underneath the free edge of the nail plate. This condition is seen when skin on the tip of the finger remains attached to the underside of the nail plate. As the plate grows away from the fingertip, the attached skin is stretched and pulled. This condition can be inherited, but it is almost always the result of trauma or allergic reaction. Slamming the fingers in a car door or aggressively cleaning or manicuring under the nail plate are examples of trauma that can cause this disorder. Allergic reactions to formaldehyde-containing nail hardeners can also cause pterygium, as can repeated applications of monomer liquids, UV gels, or acid-based nail primers to the skin near the underside of the nail plate.

If you don't already have it get a copy of this book, I find I'm always referring to it.

Thanks ladies, it sounds more like what Jeni said, I really appreciate your help :)

Latest posts

Back