SNS acrylic or gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo T

Reaction score
It's becoming very popular as it is hard and durable so it lasts longer. The nail is dipped in powder then set with a liquid which says gel on the bottle. But surely liquid and powder is acrylic.

Spoke to a lady who had it done and she said she was told it's better for you as you don't have to expose your hands to a harming led or uv box!

Is it gel or acrylic... feeling confused

It's becoming very popular as it is hard and durable so it lasts longer. The nail is dipped in powder then set with a liquid which says gel on the bottle. But surely liquid and powder is acrylic.

Spoke to a lady who had it done and she said she was told it's better for you as you don't have to expose your hands to a harming led or uv box!

Hi. I am also a bit confused on this product. I did buy the grand master kit plus six additional gelous powders. I have approximately $500 invested in this system. I started practicing this week with it & I really do like it. I'm having trouble explaining it to my clients because the information in my kit does not give in depth detail. Though it reads on the literature that it is not acrylic and it is not gel, I feel it is most certainly a gel because it has "gel base" written on the bottle. I've made attempts to get answers from the company, but they will not return calls or emails. I'm very frustrated at this point. I guess I'll have to learn by trial & error.

Apparently it is actually an acrylic. And nail adhesive (glue)!!! I was confused too and spoke to some far more knowledgeable bods and asked the same question.

... Neither. It's NOT at all acrylic nor a gel. It's made of natural fiber and your nail can breath through. It does not need lamp to cure and it's much durable then shellac. It's a type of powder and you follow same procedure as gel to remove. File but you have to do quite a hit or best to drill a hit on top without touching the nail then wrap with cotton ball and foil as you would do for shellac. Leave it for 10 or 15min and wipe off with cotton.

... Neither. It's NOT at all acrylic nor a gel. It's made of natural fiber and your nail can breath through. It does not need lamp to cure and it's much durable then shellac. It's a type of powder and you follow same procedure as gel to remove. File but you have to do quite a hit or best to drill a hit on top without touching the nail then wrap with cotton ball and foil as you would do for shellac. Leave it for 10 or 15min and wipe off with cotton.
I'm afraid this is not accurate. I've downloaded a copy of the SNS MSDS and it clearly states the product contains methacrylates so it does belong to the acrylic family.
Secondly nails do not breathe. They are non living cells made of keratin and as such all required nutrients and oxygen are provided from the blood supply via the matrix.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.PNG
    IMG_0625.PNG
    278.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi. I am also a bit confused on this product. I did buy the grand master kit plus six additional gelous powders. I have approximately $500 invested in this system. I started practicing this week with it & I really do like it. I'm having trouble explaining it to my clients because the information in my kit does not give in depth detail. Though it reads on the literature that it is not acrylic and it is not gel, I feel it is most certainly a gel because it has "gel base" written on the bottle. I've made attempts to get answers from the company, but they will not return calls or emails. I'm very frustrated at this point. I guess I'll have to learn by trial & error.
I'm afraid this is not accurate. I've downloaded a copy of the SNS MSDS and it clearly states the product contains methacrylates so it does belong to the acrylic family.
Secondly nails do not breathe. They are non living cells made of keratin and as such all required nutrients and oxygen are provided from the blood supply via the matrix.

According to SNS it's natural gel based product. Yes I agree there with you as I already explained in one of the thread nails receives its nutrients and oxygen through blood stream. I should have explained the product allows air and liquid to penetrate instead of saying allows nails to breath which is my error of explaining.
I am going by what SNS it self says and they do not say that it's acrylic; instead explain it falls into a type of gel - so it says on their poster and information.

It's nothing like other gel polish and it's not really acrylic it may have some ingredient in common but according to SNS it's not acrylic

I gues the best thing is to write to SNS and ask. After all it's their product and they are the expert on SNS not us.

According to SNS it's natural gel based product. Yes I agree there with you as I already explained in one of the thread nails receives its nutrients and oxygen through blood stream. I should have explained the product allows air and liquid to penetrate instead of saying allows nails to breath which is my error of explaining.
I am going by what SNS it self says and they do not say that it's acrylic; instead explain it falls into a type of gel - so it says on their poster and information.

It's nothing like other gel polish and it's not really acrylic it may have some ingredient in common but according to SNS it's not acrylic

I gues the best thing is to write to SNS and ask. After all it's their product and they are the expert on SNS not us.

You're buying into the marketing and taking it one step further by misunderstanding what they're stating.

SNS does not claim to be made from all natural ingredients. They use the term 'organically processed chemicals'. I don't need to write to them and ask, I know how to read and understand a Safety Data Sheet, which tells me all I need to know about the chemical composition.

Last edited:
You're buying into the marketing and taking it one step further by misunderstanding what they're stating.

SNS does not claim to be made from all natural ingredients. They use the term 'organically processed chemicals'. I don't need to write to them and ask, I know how to read and understand a Safety Data Sheet, which tells me all I need to know about the chemical composition.

At least I am not taking this personal and losing my
clam which seems to be the case here! And more importantly the person who initially asked the question is not offended or worked up about this nor feels like needs to prove a point and argue for the sake of arguing! Nor do I

At least I am not taking this personal and losing my
clam which seems to be the case here! And more importantly the person who initially asked the question is not offended or worked up about this nor feels like needs to prove a point and argue for the sake of arguing! Nor do I

I am not taking this personally at all, nor am I arguing for argument's sake. I am just irritated that you continue to spread incorrect information and state it as fact. As I mentioned previously, spreading incorrect infomation is detrimental to our industry, an industry which I am very passionate about. I am not product bashing, nor personally attacking you, it is the false information that you are providing that I have a problem with. This isn't my opinion vs yours, it's scientific fact. Since you are not grasping what a few of us have been saying, I'm happy to stop contributing to this discussion, and would just encourage everyone to become familiar with reading Safety Data Sheets so you can better understand the products you're using or looking to invest in.

It appears to me to be nail resin, fine acrylic powder, and brush on activator. The ingredients in the products seem to be similar, actually extremely close. Dip acrylic/powder came out in late 80s early 90s in several brands. Seems the dip systems just came back with better sanitation instruction and different packaging. Maybe they are different though.

Dip systems are from the acrylic family, and use a resin which is 2 ethyl cyanoacrylate as the liquid and polymer powders . The liquid is NOT a gel although some resins feel thicker than others, 2 ethyl cyanoacrylate is a glue and has an activator to set it.

2 ethyl cyanoacrylate DOES have an odour to it and vapours, despite what some brands say that dip systems are odourless,
as most if not all use this grade of glue as you can see on MSDS sheet, and the vapours from this grade of glue can sometimes feel like they may sting eyes and nose membranes, when using.

We at Flexiglaze have developed a thin viscosity nail dipping glaze that is NOT 2 ethyl cyanoacrylate and is completely odourless and classed as a non irritant, so safer to use and contains BB oil so not as drying on the nail when removed. (not to feed the nail!!) Also cosmetic grade fine dip powders and glitters plus a fragranced activator to assist with salon environment and is in an atomiser very fine spray so no brushes gong hard. Sets our glaze instantly.

Gel, Acrylic and SNS are all composed of the same chemicals. As far as safety for me as nail tech it is selfish. I want to reduce my exposure to the main danger- micro plastic airborne dust. Gel, acrylic and sns can all be applied and removed safely from our clients. With proper measures we can retain the health of their nails. However, the products we use pose risks to us. The biggest is overexposure to the micro fine airborn dust from filing enhancements. Either from initial application/ shaping to removale. Acrylics and SNS require filing for shaping and removal. It gets everywhere. It eventually settles in our lungs. So for this reason I only work with self leveling soft soakable gel products. No dust - no acrylic lungs.
I currently use Luxio Build by Aczentz or their other soft gel crystal Clear. I previously used CND Brisa lite, but they discontinued the product.
I have rehabed many clients from years of acrylics or SNS/dipping with much success.

Latest posts

Back