So tired, giving up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitter nails

Reaction score
Hi, need some advice really I just registered as self employed today and to be honest I feel like quiting. I've only been working 3 months and I'm exhausted! Like to the point where I don't go out anymore only to work (and I'm not even making any money) I'm tired, it just doesn't seem worth it feeling like this how do I tell the salon i want to quit?

That's not good heading into what is tradionally our busiest period :(

I'm a bit confused about the situation, you say you've just registered as self employed but been working for 3 months in a salon...are you employed or self-employed???

If you are employed then find out what your termination period is and write a letter of resignation, in simple terms, no emotional outpouring, just a simple letter. There are templates available on Google.

If you are self-employed then you should be setting your own working hours and rates so no need to be working so many hours and making no money. If you are working too many hours and making no money then you need to sit down and re-assess your business with a business head on, where is your profit margin? Do you need to increase your prices? negotiate bulk discounts with supplier?

We probably need a bit more information to help that you're too tired to provide :(

Building a business isn't for everyone. If you read on here, pretty much everyone who has started from scratch has had at least a 12-18 month slog of working all hours and not really seeing any returns. It takes time to build a business and there aren't really any shortcuts. But I think the majority would now think it was worth it.

As Trinity said, it's hard to know what advice you are looking for, but try not to beat yourself up about it. When you've had some time to reflect, I'm sure you'll have learnt some useful lessons that you can take into whatever you do next - and at least you had the courage to give it a go, not everyone is brave enough to do so!

Can you clarify your first post?

If you are self employed then you need to look at your costs / prices and write a business plan.

If you are tired, are you working loads of hours with lots of clients, but not making any money?

You need to explain a bit more.

Are you taking any multivitamins ??? If not start taking them. I can't cope without a whole host of vitamins especially in season!
I could give you a few tips : apologies if this sounds harsh and I sure I will be chirped by others for my forward approach.
1-Stop feeling sorry for yourself
Become more positive
2-Negativity is a disease it eats away at everything and gnaws at your soul.

I work 10 hours solid : no jokes no LOL breaks no lunch breaks , one client after the next in season for 6 weeks solid.
Every year, for 9 years now.
Why because I CHOSE this career path.

2-If you feeling so tired so soon after 3 months , like suggested : unless for health issues(can't rule out pregnancy or home life of no sleeping nights etc) but realistically any business takes an average of TWO years before you should actually draw a profit.
4-Any profit you ploughing back into the business.
5-Depends on your ultimate goals though and how far you want to go.
And how competitive you are by nature, that usually helps.

I sorry I sound harsh but reality is your clients will pick up on your wanting to quit and it could flow into your work so I hope that you able to pick yourself up and enjoy this career.
As suggested this isn't for everyone and atleast you have tried it out, no education or skills learnt is ever a waste of time.

Good luck [emoji106][emoji256] and all the best for your choices and hopefully you able to find happiness in a field you passionate about.
Unless perhaps your work environment is not pleasant then perhaps look at going mobile or moving salons.

Work life balance is vital and you can't put a price on it. Do what you need to do.

Hi, need some advice really I just registered as self employed today and to be honest I feel like quiting. I've only been working 3 months and I'm exhausted! Like to the point where I don't go out anymore only to work (and I'm not even making any money) I'm tired, it just doesn't seem worth it feeling like this how do I tell the salon i want to quit?

Being self employed is hard work, so although it's only been 3 months, maybe you need a little break?
I work 6 days a week, and every now and then I start to feel really low ...even though I love my job. But I know I need to give myself time to refuel mentally and physically. It can be hard to take a day off as you feel as though you're letting people down (and that you'll miss out on the money!) but your sanity is more important!

I've also started to have fortnightly massages on my day off which is something to look forward to. I take multivitamins and I schedule a break every single day ...ok so I don't always manage to take it, but I really do try and I feel a lot better for it ...and I'm sure my treatments are better for it too.

Chin up and good luck x

If you aren't enjoying it then it's possibly not for you. Do you have an alternative?
I'm a single parent of 3 very active kids and I haven't been out socially for a year. I work hard, taxi my kids around and sleep.
I genuinely love my work and I can't say that I bounce out of bed raring to go but once I'm in my little salon I'm less stressed and have a great day.

It took me 3 years to get my business to a viable level. It was tiring, exhausting, stressful and, at times, soul destroying. And worth every single struggle! And yes, I felt like giving up at times and questioned my abilities (and my sanity!) Self employed is not for everyone but I would worry if you're feeling like this after 3 months. For me it was all worth it and the following 4 years have been fantastic. Do you have a business plan in place and interim goals to aim for? If you're super busy then that's half the battle, but it's no good having a full diary if you're not enjoying it.

Glitter nails have a hug, you sound so down. :(

Are you having issues with people in the salon which are draining your energy?

Are you confident in the work you produce?

Are you charging enough/making enough profit?

Do you love what you do? Just not where you're doing it?

Give us some more pointers, we're all ears ... [emoji195]

Latest posts

Back