Sourcing hair extensions from India

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryHairExt

Reaction score
Hello! I'm finding the constant increase in hair prices from British suppliers hard and I would like to miss out the middle man. I want to potentially take a trip to India and visit various factories etc. I want Indian hair in particular as it can be ethically sourced; I want a 'clean' business. I wondered whether anyone knows of any reliable and trusted factories in Chennai that I could possibly contact from over here? Any help would be fantastic! PM me :)

Hello! I'm in the same situation as you at the moment (I see you posted this a couple of years back!) Would love to know if you had any success? I'm planning a trip to India in the next couple of months. I'd be so grateful of any help or advice you could give me from your trip!
Thanks so much :)

I have a contact in Chennai but it has took me two years to find I was planning to go this year but I'm now expecting and open my training academy in April so too much commitment , I've been using the hair on a small scale but they only offer bank wire as payment and I'm so unsure about ordering big ? X

Very Interested

I have a contact in Chennai but it has took me two years to find I was planning to go this year but I'm now expecting and open my training academy in April so too much commitment , I've been using the hair on a small scale but they only offer bank wire as payment and I'm so unsure about ordering big ? X
Thanks so much for your reply! Would you be comfortable sharing their details? Even privately flicking me a message? Could be worth me exploring! So hard finding great, high quality manufacturers!

Sorry Hun I wish it was that easy but unless you want to meet up and discuss I wouldn't just give that info away as its took two years to find a supplier and as I carnt get over there it would just be setting some one else up in businessx

Totally understand but I'm in New Zealand so can't meet up. All the best

You maybe finding it difficult to source a supplier in India because it is against the law form non Indian residents to purchase hair direct from source. You need to be looking for an agent to buy the hair, who will then hopefully recommend a factory who will process the hair for you. Whats brilliant about Indian hair is its nearly all ethically sourced as it is more often than not given as an act of worship in the temples, who in turn sell it and use the money within the community for food and shelter for the poor. So its really worth doing the leg work

You maybe finding it difficult to source a supplier in India because it is against the law form non Indian residents to purchase hair direct from source. You need to be looking for an agent to buy the hair, who will then hopefully recommend a factory who will process the hair for you. Whats brilliant about Indian hair is its nearly all ethically sourced as it is more often than not given as an act of worship in the temples, who in turn sell it and use the money within the community for food and shelter for the poor. So its really worth doing the leg work
What a load of BS!!! Explain to me how Chinese factory owners who visit India on a very regular basis and buy TONS and TONS of Indian hair daily, do it? And no, its NOT brilliant that Indian hair is ethically source because that too is a load of BS. The money that is given to Indian hair collectors is absolutely and categorically not given out and used within the community. Again, more BS. Sure, hair is donated as an act of religion which is all rather sad knowing that the greedy, nasty, self centred and often evil men who exploit this, can use that as a way for gullible fools to buy the hair thinking they are "helping" the fellow indians and thus "contributing" to a wider society.

I challenge absolutely anyone who believes otherwise. Bring it on.

Chinese factory owners don't buy directly from the temples, they use a middle man as you'll find that all temples have contracts that only supply certain individuals. You can't buy direct from the temples without going through them, it's not possible. I don't know if it is legal or illegal, I just know you cannot buy direct from a temple.

I have to disagree and agree about it been ethical, in a sense depending on the temple then yes it is ethical as some temples do actually put the money back into the community and I can say this with 100% certainty, however some don't. I would also say it isn't ethical in the sense that they do donate the hair, however they actually have to pay to do this, yes it is only a small amount that covers the cost of the blades but isn't ethical in the sense that they themselves aren't making money from donating/selling their hair.

I would say other origins of hair are more ethical as the person actually gets paid for selling their hair which can actually do some good for their families etc.

As a company, we would never sell hair that we couldn't say with 100% certainty was ethical, we do our research and visit the source through to manufacturing.

I'm sorry I was only relaying what my agent and factory have personally assured me after lots of discussion before entering into a partnership with them.

Thank you @Additional Lengths for your response

Latest posts

Back