Special treatment Iicence for mobile therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlyshb

Reaction score
Hi,
I was reading a thread on here the other night about mobile hairdressers also doing Ear Piercing (lower lobes, not cartiligious). Sod's law,i cant find it now
My council are saying they cant give me a special treatment license because im mobile. They also said they were following the London Local Authorities Act. But i've read the act and it doesnt actually say you CAN'T have a license if you're mobile, it just mentions about the state of the premises, health and hygiene. Was there any thing that anyone mentioned specifically to their council to get their Special Treatment License?
Also, it lists manicures and facials as needing a special treatment license, does this mean that these treatments wouldnt be able to be caried out mobile either?
Thanks in advance for any and all help. I appreciate it

Every council is different but there isn't much use arguing with them. If they won't give you one then that's that really. I'm guessing it's because you don't have premises for them to inspect they can't grant it.

If manicures and facials also say they need a special treatment license than yes, you wouldn't be able to carry out those mobile either.

Hey hun, I used to live in Romford & around 2 years after I had moved areas someone from the council contacted me through Pamperpad (I hadnt updated my details so was still showing as covering Romford) to tell me I needed to apply for a licence as its needed for manicures & pedicures (i dont do facials ) so it sounds like they are clamping down on therapists working without a licence (wheee!!)

Im lucky i live in an area now where the council dont require one, but I will try & dig out the name of the council officer that contacted me as it might be wirth asking her direct for clarification. I was listed on Pamperpad as being both salon based & mobile & she didnt query the mobile part at all.... xx

Last edited:
I cant copy & paste the message on my phone, but it advised to Log onto the London Bourough of Havering website for more details, & the contact addy for the person that messaged me is-
[email protected]

Xx

I cant copy & paste the message on my phone, but it advised to Log onto the London Bourough of Havering website for more details, & the contact addy for the person that messaged me is-
[email protected]

Xx

I rung them today and was given her name as the person to email to query it further. Im fully qualified and have insurance, never knew all this about being registered with council because i was/am registered hmrc and have covered myself and my clients with insurance.
My client use me because im mobile.......if i have to give up these treatments, what did i train for?!
Which area are you in now? I might have to move. lol

Every council is different but there isn't much use arguing with them. If they won't give you one then that's that really. I'm guessing it's because you don't have premises for them to inspect they can't grant it.

If manicures and facials also say they need a special treatment license than yes, you wouldn't be able to carry out those mobile either.

In the london local authority act, it just doesnt mention mobile therapists. Not that mobile therapist cant have one.
And just because i dont have premises, doesnt mean i dont follow protocol. Its almost as if they'll keep going until mobile therapists cant work :(

I find it really odd that different councils have different rules tbh! Im under Braintree council now & dont require one as I dont use needles, do massage or anything that breaks the skin (in v basic terms) obviously if this changes Im happy to obtain one, but Romford do ask for them & it looks like they are actively seeking out therapists without one.
I'd say email Lynne Locke & ask for clarification, as like you say you are still very professional in what you do. If you can prove waste disposal, training & insurance its got to be worth a shot xx

As a side note- you get automatic exemption from needing a licence if you belong to any of the (mainly holistic) professional bodies on their list.

Sadly both Babtac & The Guild of Beauty therapists have been refused permission to be on the list but might be worth checking if you can be classed as holistic? Xx

In Bexley you need a licence for doing most beauty treatments....but not for hair!...
Most barbers use a cut throat razer, but they don't need a licence! :eek:

I have to say, I take issue with our council in that a salon needs a licence, but a mobile therapist does not!
Apparently it would be too hard for them to enforce!!!
UNFAIR. :mad:

In Bexley you need a licence for doing most beauty treatments....but not for hair!...
Most barbers use a cut throat razer, but they don't need a licence! :eek:

I have to say, I take issue with our council in that a salon needs a licence, but a mobile therapist does not!
Apparently it would be too hard for them to enforce!!!
UNFAIR. :mad:

I'd love to know how they work it all out

I just checked to make sure I didn't need a licence to practice, but I'm in Scotland - you only need to be licensed for tattoo (including semi-perm) or skin piercing here.

Latest posts

Back